Thread: ushare & ics

Beans

Angry ushare & ics

Ok, here's the problem:
    I've got my xbox360 running on a wired connection to my ubuntu box, which in turn connects over wireless. It works fine; I can connect to xboxlive, no problems.
    I tried installing and running ushare. It worked at first and I could see the share on the xbox360. After a restart of both the xbox360 and my box, I can no longer see the share on the xbox360.
    I'm pretty adamant about using ushare and not anything else, because I've [I]seen[I] it work before. Anyone have any experience with this? Perhaps there's something wrong with my ics?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: ushare & ics

I don't have uShare but I'll assume that it works like my mediaTomb media server that I use for my PS3 and my Asus Eee, ie sharing media through UPnP. Did you hardkill = shut ushare with the machine? I had serious problems with my mediatomb when I hard killed it, because the database became corrupt. That may be your case. Do you have a .ushare folder in your home directory?
    You can see hidden files with ctrl + H.

Beans

I don't seem to have a .ushare in my home.

On a side note, I still can access the web interface

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Hmmm. I could also acess the web UI while the server db was corrupt. How do you start the server? Mine is started through the terminal, and they seam quite alike.

Beans

I start it with "ushare -t -w -x -f /etc/ushare.conf"

Interface eth0 is down.
    Recheck uShare's configuration and try again !
    uShare (version 1.1a), a lightweight UPnP A/V and DLNA Media Server.
    Benjamin Zores (C) 2005-2007, for GeeXboX Team.
    See http://ushare.geexbox.org/ for updates.
    Initializing UPnP subsystem ...
    Starting in XboX 360 compliant profile ...
    UPnP MediaServer listening on 10.0.0.1:49593
    Sending UPnP advertisement for device ...
    Listening for control point connections ...
    Building Metadata List ...
    Looking for files in content directory : /media/disk/movies
    Looking for files in content directory : /media/disk/tv
    Found 332 files and subdirectories.

Otherwise with just "ushare -x -c /etc/ushare.conf" I get the "bind: Address already in use" error

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Everytime I start my computer ushare is already running, but I can't connect to it from my xbox360. I need to kill the running ushare and then start it manually with "ushare -x" and then everything works again. Tiresome to have to do this everytime I reboot but it's working.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I don't know if this is a general linux command but before you reboot the next time, try going to the terminal that is running your uShare and pressing ctrl + c. That shuts my server down befor I shut my computer down.

If ushare automatically added an entry to system => preferences => session, try removing that and start the server manually.

I entered an entry there manually but that's what caused the corruption since I couldn't shut the server down with ctrl + c. Try cubs post and then starting it up again and see if you can shut it down with ctrl + c