Thread: Saving Network DNS Settings as Default

Beans

Saving Network DNS Settings as Default

I'm sharing my Mac's wireless connection via ethernet to my PC and finally got it working by adding a couple of DNS servers. I saved the settings as "Home", but when I restart or even after a few minutes I have to open Network each time and re-select "Home" (with the DNS settings) to get things going.

Is there any way to get Network to remember that I want the Home settings when I restart? It's mildly annoying.

I'm on a dual-boot system and Windows XP Home remembers the settings after a restart.

(Hardy Heron 8.04)
    Last edited by johnnytucats; May 3rd, 2008 at 08:12 PM. Reason: -new observation

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Saving Network DNS Settings as Default

Quote Originally Posted by johnnytucats View Post
    Is there any way to get Network to remember that I want the Home settings when I restart? It's mildly annoying.
    edit your /etc/dhcp3/dhclient.conf, and look for a line "prepend domain-name-servers ...", if there is a "#" in front of it, remove it, and add the DNS servers you want to the end of the line, separating each by a space.
    Cheers,PRShah
    Make your own: Ubuntu, Kubuntu, Xubuntu, Mythbuntu All-in-One Live DVD
    "I never make mistakes; I thought I did, once.. but I was wrong."

Beans

Re: Saving Network DNS Settings as Default

prshah:

That's got it working...thanks.

Only the first DNS I enter makes it to the Network setting, however. I tried spaces between them, semicolon, semicolon and space. Looks like you have to have a semicolon after the first one or nothing gets added.