Thread: Ubuntu Zimbabwe Regalia

Beans

Ubuntu Zimbabwe Regalia

Hello,

I propose (& I am willing to be the project Champion) that we come up with Ubuntu Zimbabwe Regalia. I have T-Shirts, Caps, Jackets and other items of your choice for a start in mind.

I will be very grateful if you will provide input on how best to start and run the project. My interest in having the project running is to have some form of identification and uniform (uniforms are for sport) when we hold meetings, go out for a project and most importantly generate some funds for the team (the regalia will be sold at a small profit, with all proceeds going to Ubuntu Zimbabwe)

I will very grateful if you will indicate the possible designs and graphics that we can use for the regalia, I fell in love with the Hardy heron T-Shirt from the Ubuntu store. (I wish I will lay my hands on one, anyone prepared to give away one??)

Does anyone know if we have to seek permission from Canonical to use, modify and print the Ubuntu Logo on the regalia? Are designs from the Ubuntu store protected in any way from copying for use by community members?

Information about printers and clothing suppliers will also be greatly appreciated.

The whole idea reminds me, of my lovely black Linux Expo jacket!

Thanks

Ronald

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Ubuntu Zimbabwe Regalia

Hi Ronald,

As stated on the mailing list, I think this is a great idea!

For use of the Ubuntu logo we will need approval from Canonical however. I have e-mailed their trademarks department but it could be a few weeks before we receive a response.

I have also asked for approval of our derivative Ubuntu Zimbabwe logo.

I don't know of any clothing manufacturers off-hand who could do this, but I'll see what I can find out next week when I'm back at work.

Since we're approaching winter here, I think jackets should be the priority!

I think we will need to decide whether or not we want to use the official Ubuntu logo, the Ubuntu Zimbabwe logo, or both. I think simple designs work best, but perhaps that's just my taste. For example simple black jackets, shirts and caps with the colourful logo, works fine for me. I don't think we should over-complicate it. Another idea might be a black and/or white button-up shirt with a logo on the pocket? Could be nice for more "formal" occassions.

Raymond Swart was the man who came up with our Ubuntu Zim logo - perhaps we can seek his assistance on this too.

Of course this all depends on the response we receive from Canonical regarding the use of the logo, so perhaps we shouldn't get ahead of ourselves just yet.
    Powered by Linux
    ~~ and coffee ~~

Promoting Ubuntu in Zimbabwe: http://www.ubuntu.org.zw

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

PS.... You'd better make sure we can get clothing in XXXXL - some of us are NOT small boys
    Powered by Linux
    ~~ and coffee ~~

Promoting Ubuntu in Zimbabwe: http://www.ubuntu.org.zw

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Hey Guys,

this is a great idea!
    I think we should organise special jackets or something for the loco team members in particular. Then have generic ubuntu wear
    as such.

I may be able to source around for clothing and merchandise printers.. let me see what i can come up with.

obviously these items will need to be paid for, how best can we arrange payment options/plans...or are we trying to source
    this as a donation?

Beans

Hello,

I propose that the jackets will be provided at a cost (cost recovery basis, if possible a small profit will charged, all proceeds going to the community).

Is it really necessary to have a separate design for the community? I suggest we use the same design, then have LoCo Team Member inscribed on the sleeve for the LoCo team members. (In future we can have names, slogans ... proud Son of Linux DBA printed on the T-Shirts)

I agree with Neil, we have to keep the design simple, I suggest we have the Ubuntu Logo, or Ubuntu Zimbabwe Logo on the front, ubuntu Zimbabwe URL on the back (small print, just below the collar), some design on the left or right sleeve.

What material are looking at? Cotton, Fleece?

Once we have finalized the designer, members will then have to make orders, indicating quantities and sizes. We will definitely have XXXL!

Ronald.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I can see your point about having the same design for all. At the same time though, I think it would be nice to have something that is "just" for the LoCo Team, whether it's a jacket or a tie or whatever.... it adds a little bit more incentive to join the team

As with everything in Zim, our biggest problem here is going to be sourcing the funds to do this. Personally, I'm struggling for groceries at the moment - so I'm not sure what to suggest there.