Page 9 of 35 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast

Thread: How to VMWare Server 1.0.6 and 2.0 RC1 in Ubuntu 8.04

Beans

Re: How to VMWare in Ubuntu 8.04

Hi
    After installing VMWARE in my UBUNTU 8.04 machine , I'm getting "Access denied " after the loggin window appears in the https://27.0.0.1:8333/ui/#
    Any ideas

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

thank you for your help..
    As i have said .. the support of the community is the major reason i love ubuntu..

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by giraf View Post
    Hi
    After installing VMWARE in my UBUNTU 8.04 machine , I'm getting "Access denied " after the loggin window appears in the https://27.0.0.1:8333/ui/#
    Any ideas
    If the message is from Ubuntu then you need your password placed in the Samba file:

Code:
    sudo smbpasswd -a <login>
    Use your login name and password as prompted.
    Regards, frank, at http://yantrayoga.typepad.com/noname/
    Homebuilt Lian-Li PC-Q33WB, Intel i7-4790K 4.6GHz, SSDs,32G RAM | Dell Laptop 13.3".
    Oracle VBox w/ WinXP/Win10 running Xara Designer, PaintShopPro, and InDesign CS.

Beans

Hey first of all thanks for the great tutorial, I've been tinkering with linux for years now but am new to Ubuntu and am blown away by the OS and the support available from people like you.

I would however like to point out that the any-any-116 patch does not allow bridging to a wireless adapter. After some googling I found the following patch which did work for me: http://liken.otsoa.net/pub/vmware/vm...sBridge.tar.gz

I simply used it rather than the patch linked in your tutorial and I am now running XP Pro bridged to my wlan0 adapter in Hardy 8.04.

Thanks again, hope this helps

Beans

The sound-problem: vmware-server 1.x uses oss/dsp for sound which can not be mixed by default, so you hear either vmware or the other program(s) depending on which opens the sound device first.

As i heard pulse audio can also receive oss/dsp audio signals, so this "patch" might be useless if you use pulse.

Here's a bash script that installs alsa-oss and replaces the start-scripts for vmware-server 1.x so it uses the alsa-oss-wrapper. I can't guarantee its working, but it worked for me on gutsy and hardy.
    Use at your own risk!

To apply the patch
    1. download the attachment
    2. extract the .tar.gz
    3. run the script from terminal

To remove the patch
    1. delete /usr/bin/vmware and rename /usr/bin/vmware.real back to /usr/bin/vmware.
    2. delete /usr/lib/vmware/bin/vmware-vmx and rename /usr/lib/vmware/bin/vmware-vmx.real back to /usr/lib/vmware/bin/vmware-vmx
    Attached Files Attached Files

Beans

Thanks for the clear HOWTO. Unfortunately it is not working for me. Everything compiles cleanly, then I get the same problem starting vmmod as another user mentioned (wanted vmmod version 138.0 found version 137.0).

I hacked vmware-any-any-update116 horribly to cause the driver that claimed to be #137 to claim to be #138 (this was a one-line change - otherwise it was already a simple wrapper for the 138 driver).

Now the server starts correctly without complaining about the vmmon version, but I cannot power on any guests. First I get a warning about enabling VT support in my BIOS (I never had this problem on the same computer when booting into Windows), then the thing just powers right back off. The server log says:

May 19 13:39:24: app| VMServerd IPC closed the connection with thread /host/Virtual Machines/Ubuntu/Ubuntu.vmx (0x83021d0)
    May 19 13:39:24: app| Lost connection to /host/Virtual Machines/Ubuntu/Ubuntu.vmx (/host/Virtual Machines/Ubuntu/Ubuntu.vmx) unexpectedly.
    May 19 13:39:24: app| cleanup: cleaned up 2 objects
    May 19 13:39:24: app| vmdbPipe_Streams Couldn't read: OVL_STATUS_EOF
    May 19 13:39:24: app| VMHS: Connection to VM broken: cfg: /host/Virtual Machines/Ubuntu/Ubuntu.vmx; error: Pipe: Read failed; state: 3
    May 19 13:39:24: app| Operation failed to change the VM to the expected power state.
    May 19 13:39:24: app| VM suddenly changed state: poweredOff.

The same thing happens whether I'm connected as myself or root.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,

Derek

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Ximbiot View Post
    Now the server starts correctly without complaining about the vmmon version, but I cannot power on any guests. First I get a warning about enabling VT support in my BIOS (I never had this problem on the same computer when booting into Windows), then the thing just powers right back off. The server log says:
    Never mind. I think the problem had to do with the fact that I was working directly from an NTFS file system (I'm running via a Wubi install).

This brings up a second question, however. Is there a way to run VMs I've stored on my NTFS partition without expanding my Wubi disk file and copying them over?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Quote Originally Posted by Ximbiot View Post
    Never mind. I think the problem had to do with the fact that I was working directly from an NTFS file system (I'm running via a Wubi install).

This brings up a second question, however. Is there a way to run VMs I've stored on my NTFS partition without expanding my Wubi disk file and copying them over?
    If you can mount the NTFS partition, then I'd say yes.

Code:
    sudo aptitude install ntfs-config
    will help. Once you run that program, the mount should show up on your desktop. Then use that path to run the partition off/in VMware.

Beans

I am still trying to install vmware on hardy, but I keep getting the:

libXt.so.6 => not found
    libICE.so.6 => not found
    libSM.so.6 => not found

I cannot find which packages I need to install for these.

Any help woudl be greatly appreciated.

Beans
    Distro
    Hardy Heron (Ubuntu Development)

No joy here. I get an error, still, compiling vmstat. uname says
    $ uname -a
    Linux zx 2.6.24-16-rt #1 SMP PREEMPT RT Thu Apr 10 15:15:40 UTC 2008 i686 GNU/Linux

installed headers etc as instructed, carefully.

> 1000 lines of error (not warnings), ending in:

clared (first use in this function)
    /tmp/vmware-config2/vmmon-only/linux/driver_compat2.h:1743: error: ‘EPERM’ undeclared (first use in this function)
    /tmp/vmware-config2/vmmon-only/linux/driver_compat2.h: In function ‘LinuxDriver_Ioctl’:
    /tmp/vmware-config2/vmmon-only/linux/driver_compat2.h:2026: error: ‘EINVAL’ undeclared (first use in this function)
    make[2]: *** [/tmp/vmware-config2/vmmon-only/linux/driver.o] Error 1
    make[1]: *** [_module_/tmp/vmware-config2/vmmon-only] Error 2
    make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.24-16-rt'
    make: *** [vmmon.ko] Error 2
    make: Leaving directory `/tmp/vmware-config2/vmmon-only'
    Unable to build the vmmon module.

I ran runme.pl in vmware-any-any twice; any chance it patched something twice and wrecked it?

PS: I did vmware sever bin/vmware-unuinstall, untarred everything, etc same difference.

Page 9 of 35 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast