Thread: How to VMWare Server 1.0.6 and 2.0 RC1 in Ubuntu 8.04

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

Thumbs down How to VMWare Server 1.0.6 and 2.0 RC1 in Ubuntu 8.04

Install VMWare in Ubuntu 8.04

<click image for larger view>

Update June 8, 2008 ~ The any-any update is no longer required with VMWare Server 1.0.6

Update July 12, 2008 ~ Updated information on VMWAre Server 2.0 RC1

Introduction

This update has been updated to VMWare server version 1.0.6 and 2.0 RC1. Installation of VMWAre Server 2.0 RC1 is very similar to 1.0.6 (scroll down a little).

Anyone wishing to use the "old" method using the any-any-update see This thread.
    Thanks ~ gtdaqua
    There have been a number of threads on the forums and hopefully this (brief) how to will help make the process as easy as possible.

If you need a more detailed description please see this thread :OttifantSir has made a copy of this how-to available for download as a pdf Here.

~ Thanks
    OttifantSir

VMWare Server 1.0.6

1. If you have any problems installing 1.0.6, see the link at the bottom of this post under "trouble shooting" (or read through this thread for similar problems).
    2. Prep ~ Install the needed tools.
      Code:
      sudo apt-get install build-essential linux-headers-`uname -r` xinetd
      *64 bit users only*
      In addition install ia32-libs (ia32-libs is in universe so you may need to enable the repository) :
      Code:
      sudo apt-get install ia32-libs
    3. Download vmware server (be sure to obtain a serial number) Place in an instalation directory ( I use ~/src/VMWare).

Code:
      mkdir -p ~/src/VMWare #Download VMWare files here
    4. Extract and uinstall VMWare Server.
      Code:
      cd ~/src/VMWare
      tar xzf VMware-server-1.0.6-91891.tar.gz

cd ~/src/VMWare/vmware-server-distrib
      sudo ./vmware-install.pl
      Select defaults.

Enter your serial # during the installation.
    5. Post-install configuration. Last, before running vmware :
      Code:
      sudo cp /lib/libgcc_s.so.1 /usr/lib/vmware/lib/libgcc_s.so.1
      sudo cp /usr/lib/libpng12.so.0 /usr/lib/vmware/lib/libpng12.so.0
    6. In addition, for *64 bit users only*.
      Code:
      sudo ln -s /usr/lib32 /usr/l32
      sudo sed -i -e 's:usr/lib/:usr/l32/:g'  /usr/lib32/gtk-2.0/2.10.0/loader-files.d/libgtk2.0-0.loaders
      sudo sed -i -e 's:usr/lib/:usr/l32/:g' /usr/lib32/libgdk_pixbuf-2.0.so.0.1200.9
      ~ Thanks fjgaude and Kokopelli for the 64 bit information.

That is all there is to it. VMWare should now be up and running.

VMWare Server 2.0 RC1

Warning : I find VMWare Server 2.0 RC1 to be buggy, more then I would expect for a RC.

Advantages of Server 2.0
    • Web interface ~ this is a double edged sword. I would assume it may conflict with apache or lighttpd. It adds the convenience of remote admin over a web interface, but there is then a security risk.
    • The web interface is a change, but I think I like it.
    • It is easier to install.

Limitations:
    • The web interface is new, and takes some adjustment.
    • Connecting to the web interface and allowing an exception for ssl and a plugin for firefox was a little strange.
    • I could not give my virtual machines more then 2 CPU.
    • Although I installed the 64 bit edition on a 64 bit system / cpu, and despite VMWare claiming support for 64 bit virtual machines, I could only emulate 32 bit guests.
    • You can NOT run VMWare and KVM (and likely Xen) at the same time. VMWare will install, but virtual machines will not start. I had to disable KVM in my BIOS to enable VMWare.
    • Security. VMWare server 2.0 installs a web server and uses ports 80 and 443 by default. I would advise you change these ports, especially if you are already running a web server. I would firewall the non-ssl connection (port 80 by default) to ALL remote connections. I would limit the connections to the ssl port (443 by default) as much as possible, or even tunnel over ssh.

1. Download VMWare Server 2.0 from here :Download BothVMware-server-2.0.0-101586.x86_64.tar.gz and VMware-vix-e.x.p-101586.x86_64.tar.gz (if you desire vix).

Again, I saved it in ~/src/VMWare

Be sure to write down the serial number
    2. Install build-essential
      Code:
      sudo apt-get install build-essential
    3. Extract and install VMWare Server.
      Code:
      cd ~/src/VMWare
      tar xzf VMware-server-2.0.0-101586.x86_64.tar.gz

cd ~/src/VMWare/vmware-server-distrib
      sudo ./vmware-install.pl
      Select defaults.

Enter your serial # during the installation.
    4. Set a root password.

VMWare Server 2.0 uses a WEB INTERFACE. By default, the web interface is configured to allow root login, thus we need a root password. We will undo this later.

Code:
      sudo passwd
      Enter your desired root password twice (second time to confirm). You will not see anything in the terminal as you type.
    5. Configure VMWare to allow users to log in.

Start vmware (as a user, not root):
      Code:
      vmware
      VMWare runs in FireFox at https://localhost/ui

The first time you load the page, firefox will give you a warning. Go ahead and add an exception.

You will get a log in screen, log in as root.

Go to the "Permissions tab" -> click "New Permission"

From the pull down menus, add your user as an "Administrator"

Log out and back in as your user (rather then root).

Assuming that is working, lock the root account

Code:
      sudo passwd root -l
    6. To get the web interface working (console tab), first create a Virtual machine. Once you start your first VM you need to allow firefox to install an addon. To do this, start your new VM, then click on the "Console" tab. You will see a black window with a text message "The VMWare Remote Console Plug-in is not installed ..."

Click on the yellow "Install plugin". You will get a "warning" from firefox "Firefox prevented this site (127.0.0.1) from asking you to install software on your computer". Click the "Allow" button on the upper Left and install the plugin.

You will the need to re-start firefox, again log in and start your virtual machine. This time you will get notice that the VMWare Remote Console Plug-in has been installed. Again click the Console tab. You will now see a black screen with the VMWare logo. Click anywhere in this screen to start the VMWare graphical screen (in a separate window).

From the VMWare console you have some limited options for admin of the VM (stop / reboot and access to removable devices).

You can close Firefox and your Virtual Machine will continue to run. You can close the VMWare window or even log off and the virtual machine will continue to run

Unfortunately, there is not a menu option to re-start the console, you have to re-start firefox, log in, and again start the console.

Additional Options

VMWare server mui
    - VMware ESX-style web-access for configuration of your server
    • Download VMware-mui-1.0.6-91891.tar.gz
    • Prep :
      Code:
      apt-get install libxi6 xfsprogs
    • Install :
      Code:
      tar -xvzf VMware-mui-1.0.6-91891.tar.gz
      cd cd vmware-mui-distrib
      sudo ln -s -f /bin/bash /bin/sh # This may not be required
      sudo ./vmware-install.pl
    • Access https://localhost:8333/

VMWare tools
    - Quite easy : https://help.ubuntu.com/community/VMware/Tools

Directory (Folder) Sharing
    This works by mounting a directory on the host onto the guest.
    You need a patch, see this link :

VMware Tools for VMware Workstation 6.0.4 build 93057 on Ubuntu 8.04 guest
    ~ Thanks
    Keithel

File Sharing
    - Samba is by far the easiest way to file share. It works out of the box with minimal end user configuration. See this page : https://help.ubuntu.com/community/SettingUpSamba

This link is specific to samba on VMWare
    Sharing files between a Windows guest and Ubuntu host using VMware and Samba

~ Thanks gerula

Do not let the size of that page distract you, follow the sections on graphical configuration. Samba also allows sharing of printers. The only caveat with Ubuntu 8.04 is that after installing the samba server you need to log out and back in before your shares can be configured.

Alternates to Samba - sshfs, NFS, ftp, http, or other network protocols.

Enable USB devices
    - USB devices work out of the box with minimal (gui) configuration.
    - Enable USB device sharing : Using any editor (gksu gedit /etc/fstab), add this line to /etc/fstab (works with VirtualBox as well)

Code:
    # USB for vmware/vbox
    none /proc/bus/usb usbfs devgid=46,devmode=664 0 0
    Reboot and re-start VMWare Server.

- With your guest turned off : In the server window click "Edit virtual machine settings" -> Click "Add" in the lower left -> Select usb controller -> click finish.

Start your guest ...

- With your guest turned on : In the VMWare menu , at the top select "VM" -> Removable devices -> USB devices -> Select the USB device to share with your guest.

Kernel Upgrades
    - After kernel upgrades you will need to re-run vmware-config-pl. Open a terminal and :

Code:
    sudo vmware-config.pl
    Hope that helps.

Trouble Shooting
    - Problem installing ?
    See this thread : http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=337040
    ~ Thanks
    Illuvator

Remove (uninstall) VMWare

If you want to remove vmware, run :
    Code:
    sudo vmware-uninstall.pl

bodhi.zazen
    Last edited by bodhi.zazen; July 16th, 2008 at 07:57 PM. Reason: Added information on VMWare Server 2.0 RC1
    There are two mistakes one can make along the road to truth...not going all the way, and not starting.
    --Prince Gautama Siddharta

#ubuntuforums web interface

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: How to VMWare in Ubuntu 8.04

For 64 bit users there is one additional step in order to allow vmware console to launch:

Code:
    sudo sed -i -e 's/usr\/lib/usr\/l32/g' /usr/lib32/gtk-2.0/2.10.0/loader-files.d/libgtk2.0-0.loaders
    sudo sed -i -e 's/usr\/lib/usr\/l32/g' /usr/lib32/libgdk_pixbuf-2.0.so.0.1200.9
    At least was necessary for my 64-bit installs.

Thanks for trying to put everything in one place, Bodhi.zazen!

frank
    Regards, frank, at http://yantrayoga.typepad.com/noname/
    Homebuilt Lian-Li PC-Q33WB, Intel i7-4790K 4.6GHz, SSDs,32G RAM | Dell Laptop 13.3".
    Oracle VBox w/ WinXP/Win10 running Xara Designer, PaintShopPro, and InDesign CS.

Beans

Thanks for the info, it helped me immensely with VMWare Desktop (6.0.3) and Hardy.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by fjgaude View Post
    For 64 bit users there is one additional step in order to allow vmware console to launch:

Code:
    sudo sed -i -e 's/usr\/lib/usr\/l32/g' /usr/lib32/gtk-2.0/2.10.0/loader-files.d/libgtk2.0-0.loaders

frank

Thank you frank. I added this information to the post (and was able to get the code boxes working a little better).

This information is spread all over the forums and various internet sites, but I did not find all the information (ie links) and all the steps in any single place. Thanks to everyone who posted information on this, both on and off the Ubuntu forums.
    There are two mistakes one can make along the road to truth...not going all the way, and not starting.

Beans
    Distro

We'll need to add to your post what it takes to use USBs in vmware. And also some info on samba and the like to access files host to guest, guest to host, eh?
    Homebuilt Lian-Li PC-Q33WB, Intel i7-4790K 4.6GHz, SSDs,32G RAM | Dell Laptop 13.3".
    Oracle VBox w/ WinXP/Win10 running Xara Designer, PaintShopPro, and InDesign CS.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Code:

frank
    I would be cautious of running the sed commands in Hardy final. It was needed during the Betas, but the loader was fixed to point to lib32 instead of lib at or near the final release. If you run the sed commands on a properly updated libgtk2.0-0.loaders, the loader will point to "l3232" which is incorrect.

Also if I may make a suggestion. Users should install the linux-headers metapackage for their running kernel. (Generally "linux-headers-general" for Desktop and "linux-headers-server" for a server install.) This way if/when the kernel gets updated the headers are updated automatically as well. It eliminates the confusion when they try and rebuild and the headers are not available.
    Last edited by Kokopelli; May 3rd, 2008 at 06:23 PM.

Beans
    Distro

What do you advise?

Beans
    Distro

This information is spread all over the forums and various internet sites, but I did not find all the information (ie links) and all the steps in any single place. Thanks to everyone who posted information on this, both on and off the Ubuntu forums.
    Guess you did not see my thread in either the beta or the Virtualization forums. Good summary though and I am glad we got a sticky on the subject.

What do you advise?
    Are you talking to me? If so my advice is to not run the sed commands unless you are getting the pixmap errors after completing all other steps. Even then I would strongly advise checking the loader first.

if
    Code:
    cat /usr/lib32/gtk-2.0/2.10.0/loader-files.d/libgtk2.0-0.loaders |grep lib32
    comes back with any hits then running the sed commands will almost definitely break your loader.
    Last edited by Kokopelli; May 3rd, 2008 at 06:32 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

We'll need to add to your post what it takes to use USBs in vmware. And also some info on samba and the like to access files host to guest, guest to host, eh?
    LOL, are you encouraging me to turn this into one of my "How-longs".

I added some basic information, I just do not recall the menus for adding usb devices (will add that later).

Other suggestions welcome.

Beans
    Distro

If you want a "safe" version of the sed commands you could do as follows:

Code:
    sudo sed -i -e 's/usr\/lib\//usr\/l32\//g' /usr/lib32/gtk-2.0/2.10.0/loader-files.d/libgtk2.0-0.loaders
    sudo sed -i -e 's/usr\/lib\//usr\/l32\//g' /usr/lib32/libgdk_pixbuf-2.0.so.0.1200.9
    that way "/usr/lib/<something>" would be updated to "/user/l32/<something>" but "/usr/lib32/<something>" would be ignored and not update to "/usr/l3232/<something>".

NOTE: I have not tested this since I do not have any of my 64 bit machines with me, but the change was simple enough.
    Last edited by Kokopelli; May 3rd, 2008 at 06:44 PM. Reason: spelling

Page 1 of 35 12311 ... LastLast