Page 2 of 35 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: How to VMWare Server 1.0.6 and 2.0 RC1 in Ubuntu 8.04

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: How to VMWare in Ubuntu 8.04

Quote Originally Posted by bodhi.zazen View Post
    LOL, are you encouraging me to turn this into one of my "How-longs".

I added some basic information, I just do not recall the menus for adding usb devices (will add that later).

Other suggestions welcome.

I'm not sure that the fixes, i.e., uncommenting four lines (#42 to #45) in the /etc/init.d/mountdevsubfs.sh file, is needed in the released 8.04. I ran a USB flash drive on a clean install and it loaded. Can't say if that would happen in vmware client or not... I don't have any systems I can test with at present.
    Regards, frank, at http://yantrayoga.typepad.com/noname/
    Homebuilt Lian-Li PC-Q33WB, Intel i7-4790K 4.6GHz, SSDs,32G RAM | Dell Laptop 13.3".
    Oracle VBox w/ WinXP/Win10 running Xara Designer, PaintShopPro, and InDesign CS.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Kokopelli View Post
    Are you talking to me? If so my advice is to not run the sed commands unless you are getting the pixmap errors after completing all other steps. Even then I would strongly advise checking the loader first.

if
    Code:
    cat /usr/lib32/gtk-2.0/2.10.0/loader-files.d/libgtk2.0-0.loaders |grep lib32
    comes back with any hits then running the sed commands will almost definitely break your loader.
    Yes. Thanks. Maybe Bodhi.zazen can add your comment to his original post, to keep everything together.
    Homebuilt Lian-Li PC-Q33WB, Intel i7-4790K 4.6GHz, SSDs,32G RAM | Dell Laptop 13.3".
    Oracle VBox w/ WinXP/Win10 running Xara Designer, PaintShopPro, and InDesign CS.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by fjgaude View Post
    I'm not sure that the fixes, i.e., uncommenting four lines (#42 to #45) in the /etc/init.d/mountdevsubfs.sh file, is needed in the released 8.04. I ran a USB flash drive on a clean install and it loaded. Can't say if that would happen in vmware client or not... I don't have any systems I can test with at present.
    I enable USB devices in a different way.

Add these lines to /etc/fstab :

Code:
    # USB for vmware/vbox
    none /proc/bus/usb usbfs devgid=46,devmode=664 0 0
    You need to re-boot for the changes to take effect, at least I could not get the changes to stick w/ simply mount -o remount ...
    There are two mistakes one can make along the road to truth...not going all the way, and not starting.
    --Prince Gautama Siddharta

#ubuntuforums web interface

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Also if I may make a suggestion. Users should install the linux-headers metapackage for their running kernel. (Generally "linux-headers-general" for Desktop and "linux-headers-server" for a server install.) This way if/when the kernel gets updated the headers are updated automatically as well. It eliminates the confusion when they try and rebuild and the headers are not available.
    This is good advice. On my system
    Code:
    apt-get install linux-headers-`uname -r`
    installed 'linux-headers-generic" and "linux-headers-server" automagically.
    There are two mistakes one can make along the road to truth...not going all the way, and not starting.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by fjgaude View Post
    Are you talking to me? If so my advice is to not run the sed commands unless you are getting the pixmap errors after completing all other steps. Even then I would strongly advise checking the loader first.

if
    Code:
    cat /usr/lib32/gtk-2.0/2.10.0/loader-files.d/libgtk2.0-0.loaders |grep lib32
    comes back with any hits then running the sed commands will almost definitely break your loader.
    Yes. Thanks. Maybe Bodhi.zazen can add your comment to his original post, to keep everything together.
    If someone can confirm the sed commands for me I will change my first post (I do not have the hardware).

Also, with sed commands, I advise you consider a delineation other then /, for example :

sed -i -e 's_old_new_g' file

@Kokopelli : You were asking me earlier re: my sources of information. To be honest I have been running VMWare for some time, and learned about vmware-any-any-update from the Fedora forums some time ago. I have seen many requests for how to install VMWare in Ubuntu 8.04, but did not see a complete start-to-finish guide anywhere.

I found the cp commands here :

http://fiddlerelf.com/2008/04/27/how...on-ubuntu-804/

And there was a second site, it was a blog, and to be honest I can not find it now (spent 15 minutes pooring through google searches).

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

I was not asking for where you got the information, just pointing out there were at least two threads that already gave it. The important part is that we have a sticky now though, the rest does not matter.

I used the picket fence style in sed because that was what the original command used:

Code:
    sudo ln -s /usr/lib32 /usr/l32
    sudo sed -i -e 's:usr/lib/:usr/l32/:g' /usr/lib32/gtk-2.0/2.10.0/loader-files.d/libgtk2.0-0.loaders
    sudo sed -i -e 's:usr/lib/:usr/l32/:g' /usr/lib32/libgdk_pixbuf-2.0.so.0.1200.9
    Will do the same thing. If you do a search for "l3232" on the virtualization forum you will see a number of hits where the original command was used on a loader already pointing to lib32. It is more important that the command not be used unless needed than the particulars of the syntax. I am just trying to mitigate the risk with a command that should not actively break the loader should it be run when not needed.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

I was not asking for where you got the information, just pointing out there were at least two threads that already gave it. The important part is that we have a sticky now though, the rest does not matter.

I used the picket fence style in sed because that was what the original command used:

Code:
    sudo ln -s /usr/lib32 /usr/l32
    sudo sed -i -e 's:usr/lib/:usr/l32/:g' /usr/lib32/gtk-2.0/2.10.0/loader-files.d/libgtk2.0-0.loaders
    sudo sed -i -e 's:usr/lib/:usr/l32/:g' /usr/lib32/libgdk_pixbuf-2.0.so.0.1200.9
    Thank you Kokopelli, I will make the changes.

If you see a thread that merits a sticky, please report it (as you would "spam") or PM me. This way the mods can look into it.

On that note, I think I am going to take the current stickies in this forum and make a "mega sticky" with useful links ...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

Quote Originally Posted by bodhi.zazen View Post

Now run vmware-any-any-update-116
    Code:
    cd  ~/src/VMWare/vmware-any-any-update116
    sudo ./runme.pl
    Enter your serial # during the installation.
    Thanks for the tutorial, it worked. Since I've done this before, this part above didn't stump me. But you should add a sentence here that tells people to say "YES" to that question about running the config script when they execute the any-any patch, because the default says "no" due to them entering no the first time around. This might throw newbies off if that little detail isn't put in clear text.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

help! i can't find the launch icon under the Applications/System Tools menu where the vmware applications normally reside.. i just installed and then removed server 2 beta 2 but i don't think this would have any bearing on my installation of server 1.5? i've been able to install and run both workstation and server in the past with no issues. any ideas? thanks.

Beans
    Distro

The icon may be in Applications/Other.

Page 2 of 35 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast