Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: export EDITOR=gedit && sudo visudo opens the sudoers file in the terminal window

Beans

Re: export EDITOR=gedit && sudo visudo opens the sudoers file in the terminal window

Quote Originally Posted by p_quarles View Post
    Thanks for this, prshah. The need to use environment preservation with sudo is apparently need to Ubuntu 8.04. I'll try to incorporate this into a more permanently visible location, since there are dozens of tutorials on the web that explain how to export editors, but none that I have seen mention this.
    If you want a more permanent link. I made a bug about this when Hardy was in Alpha (I'd never used vi before and got quite a shock).

But I think that my workaround is sound too.

Regards
    Iain

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Re: export EDITOR=gedit && sudo visudo opens the sudoers file in the terminal window

Quote Originally Posted by tinivole View Post
    If you want a more permanent link. I made a bug about this when Hardy was in Alpha (I'd never used vi before and got quite a shock).

But I think that my workaround is sound too.

Regards
    Iain
    I added it to the forum policy statement in Security Discussions, which is a sticky thread.

And, yes, your workaround is good, but it's just a more permanent version of the same thing. The -E option is the key to both.
    I am aware of all internet traditions. | Getting the best help | Text formatting codes | My last.fm profile
    Should I PM support questions? NO!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12