Thread: [PPC] - Hardy frequency-scaling - working for you?

Beans
    Hidden!

[PPC] - Hardy frequency-scaling - working for you?

Just wondering how frequency scaling with the default powernowd is working for anybody?

After installation, I like to make sure that frequency scaling is working by using the cpu frequency-monitoring applets, or doing it manually by letting the system settle for a little bit and doing
    Code:
    cat /proc/cpuinfo
    I found that on my G5 iMac, it was always running at full-tilt at 1.8ghz, even with powernowd installed by default.

To fix this so that it would scale back to 900mhz when not doing much of anything, I had to use CPUDYN as my frequency scaler instead.

Anyone else having any problems with powernowd not doing frequency scaling on a default Hardy?
    Last edited by stream303; May 3rd, 2008 at 09:00 AM. Reason: cpu typo
    20" G5 iMac - AMD64 HP desktop
    http://www.ppclinux.info/

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: [PPC] - Hardy frequency-scaling - working for you?

Intel Core2Duo in a Lenovo laptop also runs full tilt with no apps running (both cores). The CPU scaling monitor reports "frequency scaling not supported." Strange, as it worked perfectly in Feisty

Beans
    Hidden!

Wow, that's interesting even though you are running an intel box. I wonder how many might not even realize that their boxes are running hot due to this?

Have you tried uninstalling powernowd, and using another scaler, like cpudyn?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Stream:
    Interesting, indeed. More interesting is that fooling around trying to cix it, I installed some things that had configuration conflicts, making it worse. The idle core tem was over 70 C which is unreasonable.

I also lost my internet connection for a few days, so I did a complete fresh install. The processor no longer locked at max speed, but did spend a lot of time up there when it should have been idle.

Powernowd said that it was set at mode 1 (aggressive) (default) and I blame that setting, mostly. I have manually reset it to "2" which is "passive" and it seems to run cooler (52-53 C) . I have no idea what the setting 0 (SINE) or 3 (LEAP) translate to in human terms.

If anyone is reading this, run sudo powernowd -vv -d to see what is going on. You get hints on screen on how to change settings.

I don't yet know if those changes are persistent, since I have not rebooted yet.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by stream303 View Post
    Just wondering how frequency scaling with the default powernowd is working for anybody?

After installation, I like to make sure that frequency scaling is working by using the cpu frequency-monitoring applets, or doing it manually by letting the system settle for a little bit and doing
    Code:
    cat /proc/cpuinfo
    I found that on my G5 iMac, it was always running at full-tilt at 1.8ghz, even with powernowd installed by default.

To fix this so that it would scale back to 900mhz when not doing much of anything, I had to use CPUDYN as my frequency scaler instead.

Anyone else having any problems with powernowd not doing frequency scaling on a default Hardy?
    THANK YOU!!!

Code:
    sudo apt-get remove powernowd
    removed the unworking CPU / Processor scaling.

Code:
    sudo apt-get install cpudyn
    installed the working CPU / Processor scaling! As soon as I installed this the CPU usage monitor instantly started showing the speed monitor go up and down!

This is on a G4 ibook 1.46mhz processor.
    -user error

| I enjoy Linux! | Using 64bit Ubuntu! |

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I've got a, "Me, too," here.

Thanks. After installing cpudyn (which automatically removes powernowd), the frequency scaling kicked in straight away on my iBook 1.33GHz.

J

Beans
    Hidden!

It is even simpler now - you just have to start the process to install cpudyn, and it will automatically remove powernowd for you - and it's just as easy to switch back - just install powernowd, and cpudyn is gone.

Note that powernowd can be fixed with an edit to the /etc/init.d/powernowd file:

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/PowerPCKnownIssues

(see about half-way down the page) if you'd prefer that. I still prefer the lower latency of cpudyn after experimenting with the two.