Thread: fastest way to transfer data to remote drive

Beans

fastest way to transfer data to remote drive

I have a 500GB Maxtor SATA drive attached to my Desktop computer. It has an ext3 partition that I need to access over the network (Wifi). When I transfer data to the drive by the direct connection to it (over USB), the transfer rate is on average 10MBps, but when I transfer data to the drive over the network the transfer rate is dismal (about 1.3MBps)!

I am accessing the drive using samba. What other ways exists to access my drive over the network, and which is the fastest one?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Re: fastest way to transfer data to remote drive

1.3 MBps is pretty fast for a wifi connection. As for networks you are not going to be able to acheive anywhere near the speeds you get if it is just a local harddrive to harddrive transfer,
    Desktop: Q6600 OC: 343 x 9, 4 GB RAM, 8600 GTS Twinview (22",17"), 1.5 TB RAID 5
    Laptop: Lenovo T61 T7300 @ 2 GHz, 2GB RAM, Nvidia 140M Quadro, 160 GB harddrive
    Remember to mark posts as [SOLVED] when your problem is resolved

Beans

Isn't wifi have capacity for 54Mbps? That translates to 6.75MBps. Full bandwidth is never utilized but 1.3MBps is nowhere near 6MBps. BTW I tried accessing the drive via proftpd but the trasfer rate was around only 30KBps!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

that is the theoretical maximum. It is rarely if ever acheived. You would probably have to be directly next to the router for that to happen. I don't think that you are doing anything wrong with your transfer so just keep it the way it is. I would be content with those transfer rates.
    Desktop: Q6600 OC: 343 x 9, 4 GB RAM, 8600 GTS Twinview (22",17"), 1.5 TB RAID 5
    Laptop: Lenovo T61 T7300 @ 2 GHz, 2GB RAM, Nvidia 140M Quadro, 160 GB harddrive
    Remember to mark posts as [SOLVED] when your problem is resolved

Beans

ok. Now I am arranging for a longer power extension cord, so that I can bring my external HDD next to my laptop.