Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Low Graphics Mode in Hardy, NVIDIA Drivers / x problem

Beans

Cool Low Graphics Mode in Hardy, NVIDIA Drivers / x problem

I cannot seem to get the NVIDIA Drivers working for my 8600M GT on a new install of Hardy Heron 8.04. On boot the display fails three times, then it defaults to Vesa Display drivers @ 800x600. Any attempt to mess with NVIDIA Settings prompts that I should run nvidia-xconfig under root. This does not seem to help. I found that messing with the /etc/X11/xorg.conf file allowed me to trick the display, but only after reinstalling the drivers. It seems like I am not the only one with this problem, and I was wondering if anyone could shed some light on the subject?

I have done many of the steps listed here:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=712479&page=4

It am able to install the Linux NVIDIA 173 x86_64 drivers on my machine
    and after a...

sudo /etc/init.d/gdm stop
    sh NVIDIA-Linux-x84_64-173.08-pk2.run
    sudo /etc/init.d/gdm start
    On Gnome desktop start, the desktop will reboot with the new drivers and correct settings. From there I can go and configure the NVIDIA Settings and everything is gravy. On reboot however, the situation resets itself and the process must be done again for proper video. Anyone have any ideas?

Beans

Re: Low Graphics Mode in Hardy, NVIDIA Drivers / x problem

Curious. Could you post the contents of your /etc/X11/xorg.conf file?

That said, everything you *should* need to do would be:
    Code:
    $ sudo su
    # mv /etc/X11/xorg.conf /etc/X11/xorg.backup0804
    # aptitude purge ~nnvidia
    # dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg    # to regenerate one
    # aptitude install nvidia-glx-new
    # nvidia-xconfig -d 24 --allow-glx-with-composite --add-argb-glx-visuals --randr-rotation
    Then reboot.

If it doesn't work,, do a safe boot and then post the contents of your /var/log/Xorg.0.log.old file. Better yet, choose to go back to the terminal in the bulletproof X menu (or by picking recovery mode at boot), enter this command, scroll down until you find a line that says 'Driver "nvidia"' and change it to 'Driver "nv"'.
    Code:
    $ sudo nano /etc/X11/xorg.conf
    Ctrl+O to save, Ctrl+X to exit. Don't forget the log file if it doesn't work.

Beans

Yeah it was a no go on those instructions, I will post my old xorg.conf file in a sec.

Beans

For some reason those settings hosed my install, I can no longer ctrl+alt+f2 and I just tryed running a sudo gedit /etc/X11/xorg.conf and it wont open! WTF?!

Beans

Ok here is my old config, if anyone knows how to get my ctrl+alt+f2 console working please let me know.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Beans

I'm having a similar problem. I uninstalled my graphics driver package to troubleshoot why Quake Wars wasn't working, (probably unrelated in retrospect) then I had the same problem as PenguinXtra after a reboot. When I hit continue, it didn't go into low graphics mode, it froze on a black screen, after briefly showing a low-res X cursor.

I was able to get back into a GUI by selecting recovery mode from the boot menu, then the Fix X option. Gnome started up, without the nvidia drivers, or network support. I rebooted, and it errorred again. I repeated the recovery mode - fix X process, then removed the driver package. All was well in reboot-into-a-working-GUI land, but without nvidia drivers.

I then tried to install the driver from the nvidia website. I killed x, then ran the program using the black-screen console. It said that I should probably set runlevel to 3, and gave me the command. I exited the installer, and ran the command, causing the same error as before. I rebooted, then went into recovery mode, then root terminal. I installed the driver, ignoring the request to change the runlevel. It worked, and booted into a GUI.

The next time I rebooted, it gave me the low-graphics mode error again. I had to go into recovery mode and Fix X again. Here's where I'm at now: If I set up nvidia drivers and reboot, I can't get into a GUI. It doesn't matter if they're the nvidia ones, or the packaged ones. I don't know if the nvidia ones broke it, or if the packages did. I just want working nvidia drivers, like I had initially. It was so easy at first, just installing a package, but now it's broken when I install the same package.

How can I cleanly remove any traces of nvidia drivers on my computer, and set up X so it was on a fresh install?
    Last edited by Curlydave; May 1st, 2008 at 05:24 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

I was having a very similar issue with my geforce 5700. I finally realized this morning that when I upgraded to Hardy, it did not update menu.lst. So it ended up that I was loading the gusty kernel, and none of the graphics drivers other than vesa would work. Once I updated menu.lst to the newest kernel in /boot, everything works.

Good luck

Beans

The xorg.conf looks great. As the above poster mentioned, mind the kernel you're running.

Anyway, to troubleshoot we'll need your /var/log/Xorg.0.log, captured *when it's broken*. Alternatively, /var/log/Xorg.0.log.old, *the start of X after it was broken*. Else it could be a million things. :<

Beans

I've attached a copy of the old log file after it was broken. I appreciate any help.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Beans

I fixed it by reformatting. It took me all of half an hour to reformat, reinstall, and set up the basic packages like codecs, video drivers,(working this time) import my bookmarks, and set up btnx.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast