Thread: Can't access USB mp3 player after hardy (8.04) upgrade

Beans

Can't access USB mp3 player after hardy (8.04) upgrade

Hi,

On previous releases when I plugged my MP3 player (Sandisk Sansa Clip) into a USB port I'd get a desktop icon appear for it, which I could open to navigate and transfer files (i.e. Nautilus). Since upgrading to Hardy (8.04) that has stopped working. I no longer get a desktop icon for the player when it is attached.

Either Hardy is not recognizing the attached device, or it's possible that they've just changed the functionality to no longer show a desktop icon. If the latter then how can I access the device? If the former then help.

cheers,
    David

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Re: Can't access USB mp3 player after hardy (8.04) upgrade

same issue here - any fix?

Beans

I am having the exact same issue with my Sansa E250. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Beans

Just some more info on my original problem I described above. It appears that if the mp3 player is plugged in before (or very early on) in the Ubuntu boot process I will be able to access it. The desktop icon for it appears in this case, as does the folder "/media/SANSA M350". The problem occurs when I plug in the mp3 player after the boot process is over. If I plug it in once I'm already logged into the desktop I will not get an icon appear, nor will the "/media/" sub-directory mount. On Gutsy (7.x) this worked fine. It broke after upgrading to Hardy (8.04). It also doesn't work on a fresh Xubuntu Hardy install.

Beans

For those of you that stumble upon this thread with the same problem: see this thread for a couple of workarounds. Once you've connected the Sansa Clip either:
    1. Run lsusb at a command prompt (worked for me) or
    2. Press the middle button of the Sansa Clip (didn't work for me, but seems to have worked for others)

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by dkarnows View Post
    For those of you that stumble upon this thread with the same problem: see this thread for a couple of workarounds. Once you've connected the Sansa Clip either:
    1. Run lsusb at a command prompt (worked for me) or
    2. Press the middle button of the Sansa Clip (didn't work for me, but seems to have worked for others)
    I've had the same issue, and I managed to get everything to automount by installing the patch here: http://tombuntu.com/index.php/2008/0...-system-audio/

something to do with libflash taking over my soundcard, and turns out it was also keeping me from mounting ANY usb-based device. I installed this 'patch' and now everything works... automount of my sansa Clip & sandisk usb memory keys.

hth
    --fueg0