Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mathematica 6.0 and Hardy heron

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Mathematica 6.0 and Hardy heron

I recently upgraded to hardy (clean install) and since then I have been having a few problems with mathematica 6.0. The graphics display looks horrible and the label texts are unreadable. Also running mathematica from terminal gives a segmentation fault even though it continues to run after that and everything appears fine except for this graphics bug. I thought initially that this might be a font problem, so I downloaded the latest fonts from the mathematica website and added it to my font path but that didn't make a difference. Combing through the forums, I find a few other bug reports about invisible texts etc but nothing like what I am facing. has any one noticed such issues? I have attached an image with this post of a simple plot showing the problem.
    Thanks
    Anu
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by anu7df; May 2nd, 2008 at 11:53 PM. Reason: attachment

Beans

Re: Mathematica 6.0 and Hardy heron

I had font problems and solved them by running mathematica with the -defaultvisual option. You could try that - it might help.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Quote Originally Posted by BaffledMollusc View Post
    I had font problems and solved them by running mathematica with the -defaultvisual option. You could try that - it might help.
    I had tried this already. It didn't help. I am guessing this is not just a font problem, as the font is visible, only with less "fidelity".
    Thanks
    Anu

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

On Launchpad
    https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/197163
    A recent post suggests that the QT4 libraries supplied by Wolfram are incompatible with Hardy. It suggests removing

/usr/local/Wolfram/Mathematica/6.0/SystemFiles/Libraries/Linux/libQtCore.so.4
    /usr/local/Wolfram/Mathematica/6.0/SystemFiles/Libraries/Linux/libQtGui.so.4

Linux replaced with Linux-x86-64 on 64bit systems.

Starting with the usual command mathematica (as opposed to mathematica -defaultvisual) now provides perfect rendering of fonts in a notebook. I have reported this to Wolfram's support group.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Had this problem too, thanks a lot!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

after deleting libQtCore.so.4 and libQtGui.so.4 from mathematica directory, don't forget to install the libQt4Core and libQtGui4 from the repos (i.e. using apt-get or synaptic)
    this fix works like a charm... i have beautiful fonts now!!! thanx for your help on this....

Beans

FWIW - deleting/replacing the Qt libs is not the best idea - Mathematica uses the commercial versions of the libraries, which may differ from the open source versions...

Beans

I think this type of problem can be overcome by using matlab.. If you are not familiar with matlab, then read online help of mathematica.. Hope you can rectify your problem..

=====
    erdos

Put The Message Where It Matters! A New Way To Advertise On Social Networks! http://www.widecircles.com

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by erdos View Post
    I think this type of problem can be overcome by using matlab.. If you are not familiar with matlab, then read online help of mathematica.. Hope you can rectify your problem..

=====
    erdos

Put The Message Where It Matters! A New Way To Advertise On Social Networks! http://www.widecircles.com
    To be fair, MatLab and Mathematica are very different program.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

for me the "-defaultvisual" option worked just fine! thank you very much BaffledMollusc!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast