Thread: Wireless network unavailable after suspend/hibernate/resume ACER3624W MADWIFI HARDY

Beans

Wireless network unavailable after suspend/hibernate/resume ACER3624W MADWIFI HARDY

Hello!

I'm currently running Ubuntu v8.04 on an Acer Aspire 3624W laptop w/ Atheros WIFI w/ Madwifi.

When I resume from suspend or hibernate, the wireless network becomes inaccessible.

I'm able to restore access if I perform the following commands:

ifdown ath0
    ifup ath0

I've been looking over the /etc/acpi/ directory (and subs), but I'm not sure how I should go about affecting change.

Has anyone else experienced this, and is there a fix?

Beans

Re: Wireless network unavailable after suspend/hibernate/resume ACER3624W MADWIFI HAR

I am having the same problem on my Inspiron 2650 with a D-link DWL-G650 PCMCIA card.

Every time I put the laptop into hibernate and bring it back up, I must reboot before the wireless will work again. Using the ifdown and ifup thing as you posted will work some of the time. It is pretty annoying that this doesn't seem to function properly.

Is there a script that runs when the laptop comes out of hibernate that I can add those commands to?

Beans

Re: Wireless network unavailable after suspend/hibernate/resume ACER3624W MADWIFI HAR

Quote Originally Posted by Phinnay View Post
    Is there a script that runs when the laptop comes out of hibernate that I can add those commands to?
    Take a look in /etc/acpi. There are scripts and directories with more scripts

When I look over the scripts, they look good to me (not that I would know any better I tried messing around with a few things, with no results.

Since I'm new to Linux, I have lots of questions. The main one is, what actually happens during suspend/hibernate and resume events that is causing the network connection to stop working? If I could learn the answer to this, perhaps I could find a solution.

I'll have to do some more learning methinks

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I recommend to you to add the wireless drivers to the blacklist in /etc/default/acpi-support. This way, whenever you suspend/hibernate, it will remove the driver and it modprobe it when you resume. Don't know if it will work, but it's harmless if you try.
    Cláudio Silva

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by sirclaudio View Post
    I recommend to you to add the wireless drivers to the blacklist in /etc/default/acpi-support. This way, whenever you suspend/hibernate, it will remove the driver and it modprobe it when you resume. Don't know if it will work, but it's harmless if you try.
    Thanks for the suggestion. I tried that last night, and it was unsuccessful

I added some code of my own to /etc/acpi/resume.d/62-ifup.sh that creates a file on my desktop when executed. Guess what - it's not being executed on resume.

If I manually execute this script, my tell-tale file is created, and the network is restored.

I found lots of references to editing the 62-ifup.sh file. I had a really hard time doing this. Nothing happened when I did a sudo gedit /etc/acpi/resume.d/62-ifup.sh, but I could edit the file if I copied it to my desktop, then edit it, save it, then copy it over the old one. Is that odd, or am I missing something?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

It's probably a little late, but I found this solution for the same problem. First get a list of system hardware with this command in terminal:
    Code:
    lswh
    Find network/ethernet/wireless, under "configuration" line will be a driver (mine was “driver=ath_pci")
    Now edit your "00sleep_module" file in terminal:
    Code:
    sudo gedit /etc/pm/config.d/00sleep_module
    At the end of the file, add the following, substituting the name of your driver for "ath_pci."
    Code:
    SUSPEND_MODULES="ath_pci"

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

what does adding "Suspend_Modules" do? will it automatically renew the ip from DHCP upon resume?

Update: I've posted a similar solution here (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=6883391) with a shout-out to gib2800 for the code above.

-Dan
    Last edited by danmarycap; March 13th, 2009 at 08:23 PM.