Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Hardy Heron Freezes on my laptop :(

Beans

Re: Hardy Heron Freezes on my laptop :(

Thanks a lot porksome!!

I'll test my laptop with an external mouse plugged. Hope somebody releases a patch to fix it.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by bawbag31 View Post
    Thanks for the insight, porksome.

I read your post and tried again but with an external mouse plugged in. Everything works perfectly - 3d, compiz - using envy and fglrx. Very strange. It's got me baffled, but I'm now confident of a workaround/fix for this.

Could it be a device conflict?

Thanks
    Phil

Phil

My initial thoughts were a device conflict. An awful lot of my devices seem to sit on IRQ11, including the graphics card and the yenta socket (which I believe provides the bus to the keyboard, touchpad etc).

Not sure how to go about fixing this. Is there anyway I can force devices to use specific IRQ's - eg have the graphics card on it's own dedicated IRQ. Don't know enough about how IRQ are assigned to know where to start fixing it.

Willing to try anything as this problem first appeared with me in Gutsy. Thought about compiling my own kernel but since I don't know where the problem lies it seems a bit pointless at the moment.

Thanks
    Andy

Beans

Think I've made a little progress. Installed Feisty kernel (2.6.20) and noticed a difference in the dmesg output.

The hardy dmesg reports:
    [ 16.245784] Clocksource tsc unstable (delta = -77765473 ns)
    [ 16.249777] Time: acpi_pm clocksource has been installed.

The feisty kernel reports:
    [ 35.351270] Time: tsc clocksource has been installed.

Don't know what the unstable clock source means but it's not there in Feisty or in Hardy when I boot with an external mouse attached - and there's no hangs in those two scenario's.

Think this is definitely linked is reckon but don't know how to go about tracing the problem from here.

Anybody know how to take it forward???

Cheers in advance
    Andy

Beans

Talking SOLUTION?: Hardy Heron Freezes on my laptop

I may have a solution for this problem.

I found this thread http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...z%3Doff&page=2 which lead me to add the following options to my kernel boot options in /boot/grub/menu.lst:

highres=off nohz=off irqpoll

I testing my system with and without external mouse and with both OSS and Proprietry drivers. I left 2 instances of fgl_gears running on separate workspaces and a DVD playing (on repeat) on a fully compiz enabled gnome Hardy desktop. 6 hours later and the system was still up and running.

I appears to me that the problem is linked to the new tickless kernel option, which apparently doesn't like my laptop.

Hope this helps somebody else as well.

Please can somebody confirm this works on a system other than mine.

Thanks
    Andy

Toshiba M30X
    Centrino 1.7, 2GB memory, ATI Radeon Mobility 9600 M10
    Ubuntu Hardy

Beans

Re: SOLUTION?: Hardy Heron Freezes on my laptop

I switched back to 7.10, as I couldn't get VirtualBox running on 8.04. I'll still give it a try, though. The radeon driver works great on 7.10, but the fglrx driver caused the freeze without an external mouse again. I'll do some tests and get back to you.
    Cheers, porksome!

Beans

OK, these results just in ...

I first tried irqpoll and it worked! No freezing with the fglrx driver, so I stopped at that. Don't know if the other settings make any difference - remember, I am using 7.10 again now - you may still need them with 8.04.

Cheers

Phil

Beans

Olà,
    I still have my probleme of freezing with ubuntu8.04 even after changing my kernel boot options. I also tested the both type of drivers for my ATI9700 (prop and free). It's more or less the same.
    As an external mouse plugged-in is a kind of "solution" :S (in this situation I also can use my touchpad), maybe is it possible to create a fake external mouse fot the OS?
    Even no one is plugged in, it will works as if there were one. Then the touchpad will be available!
    But I'm really beginer in Linux and I have no idea how to do it! If someone knows....

best regards

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Hi Porksome,
    Could you post the menu.lst?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by trondhuso View Post
    Hi Porksome,
    Could you post the menu.lst?
    Here's the line for my kernel. Hope it helps:

title Ubuntu 8.04, kernel 2.6.24-16-generic (on /dev/sda2)
    root (hd0,1)
    kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.24-16-generic root=UUID=22c9d3b1-6d14-4160-8366-ffb31b2f7549 ro quiet splash highres=off nohz=off irqpoll
    initrd /boot/initrd.img-2.6.24-16-generic
    savedefault
    boot

My hardy system is rock solid now.

And... it's working now adding the options you pointed, porksome. Many thanks!!

Just one thing, in case you guys had the same problem. I realize that when running on low battery, Hardy stops playing sound and video is in really slow motion.. Is that a tunable feature? Could I customize this behavior?

Good night

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast