Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: fglrx and "low-graphics mode"

Beans

fglrx and "low-graphics mode"

I have been doing a lot reading before deciding to post but I just haven't found anyone with the exact same problem, so, here it goes:

This is a fresh install of Ubuntu 8.04 on a HP ZD8000 laptop with an ATI X600 video card.
    I previously had Ubuntu 7.10 working just fine with my video card.

So, the problem is that once I enable the OpenSource drivers for my X600 and reboot everything works fine but as soon as I reboot again I get the "Ubuntu is running in low-graphics mode" dialog.

Removing the drivers through the "Hardware Drivers" applet rebooting, re-enabling and rebooting solves the problem until I reboot again.
    So, on the second reboot I always get the "Ubuntu is running in low-graphics mode" dialog.

I have tried absolutely everything -- even tried the proprietary drivers with no luck.

As I said at the beginning I have been doing a lot of reading and testing and I have found a way to be able to boot using the OpenSource drivers:
    - Wait for the "Ubuntu is running in low-graphics mode" dialog.
    - Click "Continue"
    - Wait for GDM (running at 800x600 of course)
    - Switch to a terminal (CTRL+ALT+F1)
    - Type the following in the console:
    $ sudo aticonfig --initial -f
    $ sudo /etc/init.d/gdm restart

This restarts GDM running at full resolution and I'm then able to use my laptop without problems (Compiz is working great)... but as soon as I reboot I have to do the exact same thing again.

Does anyone have the slightest idea of what may be going on?

NOTE: I forgot to mention that when I use the proprietary drivers I get the white-screen-of-death... but that's not the problem, as I know how to correct it. The interesting thing is that once I reboot, the dreaded "Ubuntu is running in low-graphics mode" dialog appears again... so the same behavior occurs after rebooting regardless of the driver I'm using.

Beans

Re: fglrx and "low-graphics mode"

I have a simliar problem on a fresh Ubuntu 8.04. Graphic Card is an ATI Radeon 9700 Pro.

When I enable the restricted driver via the System Menü, it tells me to reboot in order to activate the fglrx-driver. When the system reboots I always get the little "Ubuntu is runnig in low resolution"-Windows which tells me to configure Graphic Card and Monitor. After configuring and rebooting as told, the same box appears and all settings done before reboot are gone.
    Clicking continue in this box results in maximum resolution of 800x600. When I disable the fglrx in this "mode" and reboot again everything works just fine with the open-source driver.

Lot's of googleing and searching Ubuntu-forums haven't given me a solution.
    Can anyone help?

Beans

sibbe,

Could you please confirm that following the same steps as I do allows you to use the restricted driver?

- Click "Continue"

If this allows you to log-in using the restricted drivers may confirm this is a bug that affects both our systems and there's a common "way" of using the driver -- hopefully, this might help the developers figure out what's wrong with our systems.

Beans

I was getting the same thing. This is what I did on my system running a ATi X1600.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...&highlight=ati

Beans

I'm sure I already did this and didn't help.
    I will try it again and will report back.

Beans

Unfortunately it didn't work for me -- XOrg is still using the OpenSource drivers and I still need to "sudo aticonfig --initial -f" every time I log off or reboot

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by morphx View Post
    sibbe,

Could you please confirm that following the same steps as I do allows you to use the restricted driver?

- Click "Continue"

If this allows you to log-in using the restricted drivers may confirm this is a bug that affects both our systems and there's a common "way" of using the driver -- hopefully, this might help the developers figure out what's wrong with our systems.
    Hey morphx,
    sorry that I replay so late, but I wasn't at home the last days. I tried you method and as you mentioned it worked. After "aticonfig --initial -f" and restarting gdm everything worked (Hardwaremanager showed "using" of the ati driver). After reboot again the low-graphics dialog.

So there seems to be a bug. Now I'll try the method of johnswb, will edit my post with the result.

Edit: The method of johnswb worked not for me. fglrxinfo dropped an "Segmentation fault" error. Is there a method I can remove everything that the method of johnswb installed (for example the ATI Control Center)?
    Last edited by sibbe; May 8th, 2008 at 12:11 PM.

Beans

Hello sibbe,

Thank you very much! Now I know I'm not the only one.
    I also tried johnswb method and didn't work for me -- actually, things are much worst now: lots of flickering, slower than ever...

Anyway, to uninstall ATI's drivers you could try this:
    $ sudo /usr/share/ati/fglrx-uninstall.sh

Beans

I'm now doing the aticonfig and every boot, not great but works

I noticed (in a moment only Crtl + Alt + Remove worked), that the aticonfig I had done inside gnome, before "gdm restart" worked AFTER the bootup. But it doesn't stay when I reboot via the gnome button or power-off and then on.

Really seems to be a bug. But what to do, wait?

Beans

I just found out something: every time I log-off, the xorg.conf file gets overwritten.
    The xorg.conf that gets generated after logging off appears to be missing lots of information both about the video card as well the monitor.

I'm posting it here so, hopefully, someone can give us (sibbe and me) some idea of what's going on.

The "xorg.conf.20080509034803.tar.gz" is the one that gets generated when logging off and/or rebooting and that doesn't work. With this file, X seems to try to auto-detect the video card and monitor but it fails.

The "xorg.conf" is the one generated after running "aticonfig --initial" and which works perfectly with my system

I really hope someone can tell me why Ubuntu/GDM/X is overwriting my xorg.org file or why is it that the one generated by the system doesn't work.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast