Thread: Hardy iso probs

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Exclamation Hardy iso probs

Is there a known issue with ubuntu-8.04-desktop-powerpc.iso? I downloaded it twice, on two different Macs [one by Torrent, one directly]. In both cases, after the download completes i get this when i attempt to mount the disk image: "The disk image you are opening may be damaged and could damage your system." I am using Disk Utility 10.5.6 on Tiger.

Edit: to be perfectly clear, i also downloaded and burnt the amd64 iso on my Mac - no scary warnings there.
    Last edited by Doctor J.; May 2nd, 2008 at 02:02 PM. Reason: mention other iso

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Re: Hardy iso probs

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor J. View Post
    Is there a known issue with ubuntu-8.04-desktop-powerpc.iso? I downloaded it twice, on two different Macs [one by Torrent, one directly]. In both cases, after the download completes i get this when i attempt to mount the disk image: "The disk image you are opening may be damaged and could damage your system." I am using Disk Utility 10.5.6 on Tiger.

Edit: to be perfectly clear, i also downloaded and burnt the amd64 iso on my Mac - no scary warnings there.
    First thought: corrupted iso d/l. Did you check the md5sum of the iso after d/l and before burning? Second thought: bad burn. Did you burn at lowest speed (4x, e.g.)? I have a feeling you've checked this, and the above thoughts are offered for any lurkers. Third thought: did you burn to a CD-R or a CD-RW? My onboard CD-ROM won't read RWs, it seems (G4 Cube, fyi), and I need to use high quality CD-R media for an iso burn. Fourth thought, after the burn, did you check the md5sum of the disk?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by avtolle View Post
    First thought: corrupted iso d/l.
    I had that notion as well. That's why did the d/l again, from a different source, on a different computer - same result.

Quote Originally Posted by avtolle View Post
    Second thought: bad burn.
    I never got to burning. The problem surfaced when mounting the .iso preparatory to loading it into Disk Utility. At this point, i suspect there is something particular about that specific iso that OSX doesn't like. I will copy it over to my Feisty partition and try the burn from there.

Beans
    Hidden!

It has been awhile since I burned from Tiger, but all I ever did was to just open disk utility, drag the downloaded iso to the left-hand pane, highlight it, and then click burn - using a low speed.

I don't recall having to mount it though. Getting tired so I could be totally wrong here...
    20" G5 iMac - AMD64 HP desktop
    http://www.ppclinux.info/

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I'm so used to using Toast that i forgot about that - Toast expects to work with mounted images, and Tiger's DiskImageMounter definitely didn't like that image [It was just fine with the image for
    AMD64.]. It seemed to burn okeh, though, so i'll give it a try next weekend. Thanks!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor J. View Post
    I'm so used to using Toast that i forgot about that - Toast expects to work with mounted images, and Tiger's DiskImageMounter definitely didn't like that image [It was just fine with the image for
    AMD64.]. It seemed to burn okeh, though, so i'll give it a try next weekend. Thanks!
    i use toast all the time without mounting the image...