Thread: [SOLVED] Linux partition full, whats going on?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

[SOLVED] Linux partition full, whats going on?

/ taken up 16GB and running out of space- whats going on here, is there anything I can clean up?
    I have my home partition seperate so its not my work or documents, I have done "sudo apt-get clean" and that didn't free up much, don't really want to resize the partition unless I have to but thought 17GB would be plenty big enough.
    Heres a screenshot of Disk usage analyser

Attached Images Attached Images

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Re: Linux partition full, whats going on?

From that image, it appears that the root user's home-folder has 13GB in it. You might have your home-folders on a seperate /home-partition, but root's homefolder is usually directly on the /-partition. /root would be the obvious place to start cleaning up at least.

See what the following command in a terminal says. It should locate some big files:
    Code:
    sudo du -hs /root/*

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Check /root you've got 13GB worth of stuff in there. You will have to be root to delete the extra files there. I would suggest installing nautilus-gksu before trying anything then navigate to /root, in nautilus right-click on the file you want to delete and select open as administrator then you can do what you need.

You can install nautilus-gksu using synaptic.

Jim

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Quote Originally Posted by geirha View Post
    From that image, it appears that the root user's home-folder has 13GB in it. You might have your home-folders on a seperate /home-partition, but root's homefolder is usually directly on the /-partition. /root would be the obvious place to start cleaning up at least.

See what the following command in a terminal says. It should locate some big files:
    Code:
    sudo du -hs /root/*
    It did find some big files - thanks, going to have a clean up now and se how much I can get back