Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: HELP..!! I broke my system.. *I think*

Beans

Re: HELP..!! I broke my system.. *I think*

Thanks for your assistance. Really you cant imagine how grateful I am.

isplicer : the file I downloaded was from http://www.uluga.ubuntuforums.org/sh...=582721&page=2 but I think the command actually messed the system up.

shad0w_walker : The ln, mv, mount, mkdir, fdisk - nothing works..

spec-chum : I will do that. I have to hunt for a boot disk (unfortunately it may not be ubuntu, but I think that wont be a problem) However, while I'm looking for the disk, I just would like to confirm something. I do have a folder /usr/lib/lib and I need a live cd to move the file (since sudo doesnt work either)

However most of the error messages that I get say that a file/command cannot be found in either /bin or /usr/bin. So I'm sort of wondering how /usr/lib/lib/ caused an error in /bin or /usr/bin. Since the /usr/lib/lib folder doesnt contain any of these files/commands anyway.

But I am looking for the cd.. Am a bit worried though because I got a whole lot of essential stuff on this pc. I just finally got my wife moved over and using the linux partition and I dont want to give her a reason to go back to *******..

I'm just asking in the hopes of better understanding the system and how it works, thats all..
    Last edited by samdavid6; May 2nd, 2008 at 12:10 PM. Reason: clarifying..

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

the programs in /bin and /usr/bin are linked against libraries which are expected to be in /lib. Since you moved them, the programs cannot find them and so they don't work. It's like when you can't find your glasses because they were moved...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

For anything but the very top part of my post (The edit) you will need to be booted from the LiveCD. They should hopefully work from there.

Beans

Ok.. phew.. let me log out and live cd in again.

brb in a few to let you know if everything works..

Thank you all..

Beans

Yaay..!! Thanks to a trusty old Knoppix CD, I have a working system again.

When I shutdown ubuntu I had to power off the system since it wouldnt shut down on its own. Can you believe I spent 6 hours wondering why I couldnt open this drive in Knoppis as "write"..? Finally I just did a quick "fsck", opened as write and moved the folder back.

I want to say thank you to shad0w_walker, isplicer, spec_chum and tacuto.

I really appreciate your help. You can tell I'm not going to be "sudo"ing anything so easily cant you..?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Congrats on getting things going again. Don't forget to mark the thread solved.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12