Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Firefox 3 Random crashes with Flash

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Firefox 3 Random crashes with Flash

Hi, I am getting the most random crashes from playing flash video's or well.. flash in general.

The crash is non-reproducible.. to give you an example.. I'm watching vids on youtube or break and I can watch about 5 vids and at the 6 it just crashes upon loading (note these numbers can be anything.. it can be the first.. the 7th.. the 11th.. whatever).

It has nothing to do with the video cause when I start firefox again it plays fine.

I ran firefox in console and got the following

Code:
    (firefox:8020): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: g_object_unref: assertion `G_IS_OBJECT (object)' failed

(firefox:8020): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: g_object_unref: assertion `G_IS_OBJECT (object)' failed

debugger.onModuleDeactivate Attempt to deactive context that is not active http://media1.break.com/RealTime/mostviewed/daily/mostviewed3.html
    debugger.onModuleDeactivate Attempt to deactive context that is not active http://media1.break.com/RealTime/mostviewed/daily/mostviewed4.html
    debugger.onModuleDeactivate Attempt to deactive context that is not active http://www.break.com/2008-mtv-movie-awards/knocked-up-by-a-zombie_1.html
    debugger.onModuleDeactivate Attempt to deactive context that is not active http://www.break.com/2008-mtv-movie-awards/knocked-up-by-a-zombie_1.html
    debugger.onModuleDeactivate Attempt to deactive context that is not active http://media1.break.com/RealTime/mostviewed/daily/mostviewed4.html

debugger.onModuleDeactivate Attempt to deactive context that is not active http://my.break.com/Content/view.aspx?ContentID=496109
    Segmentation fault
    All the lines except the one in bold are shown whenever I watch a flash video, but they don't cause a crash.. it's only the bold line that it seems to crash on.

Btw. By crash I mean it just "exits".. no message.. nothing.

Anyone familiar with this?

Beans

Re: Firefox 3 Random crashes with Flash

i was having the same problems. other uses have reported to me that its just junk flash. there are a number of alternatives or you can just uninstall as i did. i find myself to be happier being flash free than with flash. it was always my favorite part of ppc linux.

here is my thread on the subject. some solutions are featured.
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=772963

good luck!

EDIT: FredB recommend to me that I try swfdec in place of flash. it works well with youtube.
    Last edited by czechman86; May 2nd, 2008 at 10:18 AM. Reason: more info
    Linux user number 448545 || Praha, Czech Republic

Computer, Processor, Motherboard, Graphics Card, Monitor, Power Supply

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

I have the same problem on Firefox 3 Beta 5 (8.04, AMD64) with the proprietary Adobe Flash plugin. I have tried both Swfdec and Gnash previously, but I find that they sometimes run significantly slower, and sometimes do not support some Flash content.

After the crash it seems that a restart of Firefox is needed to have Flash working again.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

I started having this problem after I installed libflashsupport to fix some compatibility problems between flash and pulseaudio. I found a fix, but it is far from ideal.

1) uninstall flashplugin-nonfree

sudo apt-get purge flashplugin-nonfree

2) install nspluginwrapper

http://packages.debian.org/nspluginwrapper
    Use "Debian unstable" as Ubuntu is based off that code.

3) reinstall flash

sudo apt-get install flashplugin-nonfree

This didn't stop flash from crashing, just from taking Firefox with it. The problem is that occasionally the binary blob that is being loaded into nspluginwrapper will go zombie when flash crashes, and you wind up having to restart Firefox anyhow. YMMV, hope this helps you out, personally I went back as I was restarting Firefox every time anyway, crash recovery would kick in and it was just faster to relaunch.

Beans

I've had the same problem since Hardy. Personally, I'd rather wait for an official fix than try to work around the problem. Like the song says: "well I got a girlfriend and things to get done..."

Is it just me or is this (imho very serious) problem taking an unusually long time to fix? I don't mean to sound impatient but browsing sites with flash content is something you do every hour, not every other week...

Anybody have an estimate of when?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

seriously guys, use swfdec (or Gnash...)...

Never ever had a crash in FF3 (don't use Adobe Flash... swfdec instead...)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Someone suggested somewhere that using FlashBlock firefox plugin reduces the crashes since you only play flashes that you want on the page.

I use it to make firefox run faster when opening multiple pages that have a lot of flash on them.

I know that disabling Flash is not a solution, but it helps!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

I was having the same problems, i.e. computer freezes up while Firefox 3 beta 5 was playing Flash content. I 'solved' it by going back to a Firefox-2 and have been surfing the web with much more stability ever since...

Here is how: $ sudo apt-get install firefox-2

Beans

I solved it by setting ALSA everywhere in System/Preferences/Sound and adding
    Code:
    pulseaudio --kill
    to System/Preferences/Sessions to kill pulseaudio daemon. (I didn't want to uninstall pulseaudio. Maybe it will be fixed).

I can watch youtube movies and open every flash I want and firefox doesn't crash anymore.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Gnome 17.04 Zesty Zapus

IMHO, I believe adding the beta of Firefox 3 and pulseaudio was a terrible idea *for now* but quite clever later on (things will run smooth in small year, and this IS an LTS)

Anyway, my firefox crashes from time to time too. So does pulseaudio. Sometimes the audio is just gone, without a single message. Fun!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast