Thread: Very poor tv display

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Very poor tv display

I have just completed building a separate mythbuntu backend server and frontend client based on Hardy 8.04. I would just like to say a huge thank you to all you developers who have put this amazing system togther – I just love it.

I don't think I need to give any details of the machines themselves except to say that the graphics card I am using on the client is based on the ATI 9550 GPU and comes with 256MB RAM. Eveything works perfectly when I have a standard monitor connected to the client but it is not so good connected to a 34” widescreen CRT (PAL-BG) using S-Video. I have reset the display to 800x600 but the desktop does not fill the screen and there is really bad geometric distortion. I might add that I hope to replace an Xbox running XBMC in this particular location and the image from the Xbox displays perfectly on this TV.

I have searched the forum to see if this has already been covered somwhere but couldn't find anything that exactly deals with these issues. If I have missed a thread I would welcome it being pointed out to me. Otherwise can anyone either point me to some comprehensive notes on this subject or help me through this forum.

Thanks.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Re: Very poor tv display

I once had a monitor which I was using via s-video and it is not something you want to be sending anything but video over. It doesnt have the clarity that you need for any other applications. My TV fortunately had a VGA port on the back as well and I just had to run down the street and pick up a cable.
    Desktop: Q6600 OC: 343 x 9, 4 GB RAM, 8600 GTS Twinview (22",17"), 1.5 TB RAID 5
    Laptop: Lenovo T61 T7300 @ 2 GHz, 2GB RAM, Nvidia 140M Quadro, 160 GB harddrive
    Remember to mark posts as [SOLVED] when your problem is resolved

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Re: Very poor tv display

Quote Originally Posted by tamoneya View Post
    I once had a monitor which I was using via s-video and it is not something you want to be sending anything but video over. It doesnt have the clarity that you need for any other applications. My TV fortunately had a VGA port on the back as well and I just had to run down the street and pick up a cable.
    S-video is not ideal but the problem I am sure will be because I have not configured something properly. I reiterate the image from the Xbox is perfect and at the end of the day an Xbox is only a PC with a very limited range of hardware. I should also clarify the problem is there from boot up - TV and DVD displays from the mythfrontend would be perfect too if the basic desktop display itself was OK.

Thanks for your rapid response!