Thread: Wine and PlayOnLinux

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Wine and PlayOnLinux

Hey everyone,
    Wine is pretty cool program, I use it for Steam and TF2, though it has been having issues recently because of some Steam updates.

Have anyone heard of PlayOnLinux (POL)? POL is a program that downloads "scripts" to install games like steam or Command and Conquer 3. Instead of going through painful installations, POL uses the script to install it for you so you don't have to deal with the annoyances.

What do you guys think? Anyone used it? Currently, I'm having issues trying to get CNC3 installed under POL.
    HOWTO: Lightscribe work from Menu (SCRIPT)
    Howto: Make Conky display information on different parts of screen
    Specs:Intel Core 2 Duo 2.13 @ 3.2 GHz | Nvidia GeForce 7900 GT | 2 GBs Ram | 640 GB - HDD
    All watercooled and overclocked!!!

Beans
    Hidden!

Thumbs down Re: Wine and PlayOnLinux

Search for my posts and you will see me running Sins Of A Solar Empire with Wine 0.959 and PlayOnLinux, it's free and great, tough if you want to have a little more FPS use CrossOver Games (already tested and give more FPS then Wine), is the only soft supporting wine, so f*** cedega.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Wine and PlayOnLinux

I used PlayOnLinux for about 5 minutes. I tried testing it with a game known to work very well with Wine already, Knights of the Old Republic. After running through the install (which took twice as long as it did to install normally with Wine), the game wouldn't even launch. I've been running KotOR with Wine successfully for years now, so whatever PlayOnLinux does differently than normal Wine is just not worth it to me.

CrossOver Games, though not free like PlayOnLinux, is a far superior product. I could run everything I already run with Wine and it made the install process incredibly painless and easy. Well worth the $40 price tag.

Linux User #355330 | Ubuntu User #15618 | Last.FM

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by cogadh View Post
    I used PlayOnLinux for about 5 minutes. I tried testing it with a game known to work very well with Wine already, Knights of the Old Republic. After running through the install (which took twice as long as it did to install normally with Wine), the game wouldn't even launch. I've been running KotOR with Wine successfully for years now, so whatever PlayOnLinux does differently than normal Wine is just not worth it to me.

CrossOver Games, though not free like PlayOnLinux, is a far superior product. I could run everything I already run with Wine and it made the install process incredibly painless and easy. Well worth the $40 price tag.
    Wich version of playonlinux did you try??? The last one, 2.7 work like a charm.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Whatever version was available on the PlayOnLinux repository last week when I tested it. I think it might have been 2.6 actually.

On top of the problems I had with the game I installed with it, half of the application was not even translated. I started using it in English, then partway through, the application started popping up messages in some other language (might have been French, not really sure). For all I know, it was giving some kind of error message that might explain why KotOR didn't work after I installed it, but since I am not multi-lingual, I don't know.

I'm all for making Wine easier to use, but in my opinion, PlayOnLinux is really not the way to do it. The entire app has such an amateurish feel to it, I really don't feel comfortable using it. I don't feel I can trust that it works as advertised or is capable of doing what I can already do with a bit of typing in the terminal.

Linux User #355330 | Ubuntu User #15618 | Last.FM

Beans

I'm happy I can play Warcraft 3 on POL.

But the game does lag a bit more than a windows install would do.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

I got crayon physics installed and it works perfectly under POL. But like I said earlier in my post, it can't install CNC3. Also for me, WarCraft 3, under POL, installs, but playing it is impossilbe. The menu screen shows up with all the things in the background, but no menus or text is shown whatsoever.
    HOWTO: Lightscribe work from Menu (SCRIPT)
    Howto: Make Conky display information on different parts of screen
    Specs:Intel Core 2 Duo 2.13 @ 3.2 GHz | Nvidia GeForce 7900 GT | 2 GBs Ram | 640 GB - HDD
    All watercooled and overclocked!!!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Question Re: Wine and PlayOnLinux

Counter-Strike 1.6 work better on Wine or on PlayOnLinux ?
    Is anyone test cs on playonlinux ?
    Can someone write a results here, when I think about cs 1.6, I think about running cs 1.6 via Steam APP.