Thread: Wireless PCI card not working

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Red face Wireless PCI card not working

I recently upgraded to v8 from v7. My Broadcom 43xx PCI Wireless card worked fine in v7, thanks to the b43xx-fwcutter. The card ceases to function in v8.

The driver is disabled, according to (what used to be) Restricted Driver Manager. When I click Enable, it tries to connect to Ubuntu servers to download the fwcutter again, and of course fails out. I already have the cutter installed and firmware extracted, but every time I try to enable the driver, it tries to connect, fails, and tells me to restart for the phantom changes to take effect.

Is there a way to tell this annoying little Heron to look to the HD for the firmware rather than the net?

Beans

Re: Wireless PCI card not working

I have a very similar problem. In v7 my card was good. in 8.04 it locks my computer when booting if its in the computer, when I take the card out it loads fine. why the difference? and is there anything I can do to correct this?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Re: Wireless PCI card not working

With everyone else whom I've asked stumped, no amount of command configuring helping, and several other buggy complaints reported, I am going to roll back to v7.04/7.1, and maybe return when 8.04 is a bit more stable/updated. Ah well. If it can happen to M$ then it can happen to us.