Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Wireless ---- Thoroughly confused

Beans

Re: Wireless ---- Thoroughly confused

eperrone: I just wanted to add that the procedure I gave works great with my wireless card, but my card is using a Libertas chip and not specifically a Broadcom chip like yours. I know other people with other wireless chipset manufacturers who have used the procedure I outlined successfully, so that's why I thought I'd go ahead and reply to your post. But it looks like because you're using the BCM4328 chip you've got some different issues to deal with. I think following Ayuthia's additional advice will be your best bet, or the link Ayuthia originally posted seems like it's helped many in your situation:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=734003

Unfortunately there is no panacea when it comes to wireless woes in LinuxLand since it can vary so much from card-to-card, or chipset-to-chipset. I'm sure you can get it working though.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Ayuthia View Post
    By any chance, have you done an update in Synaptic or done 'sudo apt-get update'? If so, can you post your /etc/apt/sources.list?
    Right, tries the sudo apt-get update, but as I have no internet connection (wired) it didnt work.

I did the /etc/apt/sources.list and it said
    bash: /etc/apt/sources.list: Permission denied.

Any other ideas??

Beans

Sorry all,

I was able to get the ndiswrapper installed. My main source of confusion was that the packages I needed were not in the package manager by default. And up to this point I had not connected the machine to a network. Last night I sat down at my router and plugged in and it updated all the packages. I installed the network manager, device manager and windows wireless drivers tool. After I did that I got the card to work... Woo hoo!!!

The key was to get the machine on the internet then I could Get to all the tools I read about (the lack of which was the beginning to all my confusion). Then after a bit of playing and trial and error I got things going.

BTW be sure to unplug you wired connection before you try to connect the wireless one!

But....... here is the kicker

The card is slow slow slow. When I boot the machine in windows I have a good wireless internet connection but in Linux it is barely usable. I had checked the "rate" setting in iwconfig and it seems ok, 54MB, I also tried using WEP vs WPA and both of them were the same so it does not seem to be that. I guess it is the ndiswrapper that makes it slow?

Any ideas!

thanks all!
    Eric

Beans

I managed to get everything working too, so thanks for everyone's help! Managed to install ndiswrapper from the CD and then used ndigtk(?) to install the driver. I also managed to install TrueType fonts myself, which I'm pretty happy with!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by eperrone View Post
    The card is slow slow slow. When I boot the machine in windows I have a good wireless internet connection but in Linux it is barely usable. I had checked the "rate" setting in iwconfig and it seems ok, 54MB, I also tried using WEP vs WPA and both of them were the same so it does not seem to be that. I guess it is the ndiswrapper that makes it slow?

Any ideas!

thanks all!
    Eric
    Ndiswrapper should not be the cause of a really slow internet connection. If it's still really slow, post the full results of "ifconfig" and "iwconfig" and maybe I or someone else can help. Also, what is your internet connection? Are you using a DSL modem along with your router, or are you using cable?

Beans

Hello all,

As requested here is results from the configs... anyone see anything why it would be so slow? BTW I am currently sitting downstairs form the router. So the speed looks slower today than yesterday (Bit Rate=24Mb/s) But yesterday when I was sitting 1 foot away from the router the performance was the same and the signal was 100% so I think that is not the problem. Also I sit on my couch regularly with WinXP and it works great from here. Anyway willing to try anything...

My internet connection is DSL the highest speed from BellSouth.

Thanks

From iwconfig

wlan0 IEEE 802.11g ESSID:"xxxxxx"
    Mode:Managed Frequency:2.437 GHz Access Point: 00:16:B6:47:418
    Bit Rate=24 Mb/s Tx-Power:32 dBm
    RTS thr:2347 B Fragment thr:2346 B
    Power Managementff
    Link Quality:37/100 Signal level:-72 dBm Noise level:-96 dBm
    Rx invalid nwid:0 Rx invalid crypt:0 Rx invalid frag:0
    Tx excessive retries:0 Invalid misc:0 Missed beacon:0

From if config

wlan0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:1e:4c:c0:a2:d0
    inet addr:192.168.1.106 Bcast:255.255.255.255 Mask:255.255.255.0
    inet6 addr: fe80::21e:4cff:fec0:a2d0/64 Scope:Link
    UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1
    RX packets:1267 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
    TX packets:1522 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
    collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
    RX bytes:1205337 (1.1 MB) TX bytes:174634 (170.5 KB)
    Interrupt:17 Memory:f9ffc000-fa000000
    Last edited by eperrone; May 3rd, 2008 at 02:01 PM.

Beans
    So I tried to run a few speed tests on the internet connection. Just to see what is up.

This first test isis using wireless from my laptop when booted into Windows XP.

As you can see my download speed is close to 6000

This second test is from the same laptop booted into Ubuntu 8.04 using a wireless connection a few minutes later.

Here are the results in Ubuntu with a Wired Connection

What is pretty amazing is that the download speed is slower than upload! I figure that must be some type of configuration problem. Maybe?

Weird.

As always any suggestions appreciated!
    Last edited by eperrone; May 3rd, 2008 at 07:07 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12