Thread: Question: How to set up 2 HD's for Hardy Heron?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Question Question: How to set up 2 HD's for Hardy Heron?

In other words, what I'd like to do is to have one HD for my Home partition and the other HD for everything else. Unless someone has a better suggestion?

I'm aiming to keep my Home folder intact no matter what Distro I use or upgrade from later on.
    Registered Linux User #414589
    "Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak."

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Re: Question: How to set up 2 HD's for Hardy Heron?

where are you getting stuck:
    1. Attach second harddrive to computer
    2. Partition and format second harddrive
    3. Add harddrive to /etc/fstab so that it is automatically mounted to /home
    Desktop: Q6600 OC: 343 x 9, 4 GB RAM, 8600 GTS Twinview (22",17"), 1.5 TB RAID 5
    Laptop: Lenovo T61 T7300 @ 2 GHz, 2GB RAM, Nvidia 140M Quadro, 160 GB harddrive
    Remember to mark posts as [SOLVED] when your problem is resolved

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

you don't even need a separate hard drive, just another partition.

sometimes the config files in home don't transfer well between distros... it may be a better idea to create a partition on the second drive and mount it somewhere like /media/storage and then make symlinks for the folders in your home folder like Music, Pictures, Videos.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by cyberdork33 View Post
    you don't even need a separate hard drive, just another partition.

sometimes the config files in home don't transfer well between distros... it may be a better idea to create a partition on the second drive and mount it somewhere like /media/storage and then make symlinks for the folders in your home folder like Music, Pictures, Videos.
    Like he said, some thing won't work between different distros. I used to have a separate partition for my home but ran in this very problem. I finally just made sure I had a partition I used strictly for back-ups. Before I installed a new distro or updated the current one, I would back up my home directory to the set partition. then after install I could move the configs as I needed. I eventually learned what i needed to back up and what I didn't.
    Alabama LoCo

Don't just use Linux, Learn Linux please refer to Proper Documentation. http://wiki.ubuntu.com http://doc.gwos.org http://ubuntuguide.org