Thread: XMMS is missing

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

XMMS is missing

One of the first things I download after a full install is Streamripper & Streamtuner so I can have some tunes while I do the rest of the "polishing" on the new distro. (All Ubuntu derivatives, of course).
    It seems like XMMS has fallen by the wayside in v8.04 which makes Streamripper/tuner useless as they depend on XMMS to make the sounds.
    XMMS2 will not work as a replacement (at least at my level of expertise it won't).
    Anyone know how to fix this problem?

Thanks
    Last edited by bobpur; May 1st, 2008 at 08:18 PM.
    Some computers are like Slinkys. Not really much good for anything but they bring a smile to your face when pushed down the stairs.
    Don't be discouraged! Remember, an amateur built the Ark. Experts built the Titanic.
    Registered Linux User #434788

Beans

Re: XMMS is missing

I read somewhere that Audacious is what's used now, but take that as a stab in the dark.
    "For those who believe, no explanation is necessary. For those who do not, none will suffice." - Joseph Dunninger

Beans

i had the same happen to me i gooled for xmms found link but dont remember it hope this helps bullfrog2 spilled all beans because pot was hot

Beans
    Distro

Streamripper/tuner wants to default to XMMS and I don't know to change that.
    I believe, I read somewhere that the person that maintains Streamripper/tuner is hanging it up and not working on it anymore.
    Maybe this is the beginning of a long slide into the trashcan full of old programs that've outlived their usefullness.
    I might try getting it off an older version of a Ubuntu cd and installing it. I noticed it disappearred when I upgraded from v7.10 to v8.04 so maybe that won't work.

Thanks for the reply!
    Last edited by bobpur; May 1st, 2008 at 08:43 PM.
    Some computers are like Slinkys. Not really much good for anything but they bring a smile to your face when pushed down the stairs.
    Don't be discouraged! Remember, an amateur built the Ark. Experts built the Titanic.

Beans

Linux User #440528
    openSUSE 12.1 x86_64/KDE 4.8.4

Beans
    Distro

Sorry. I had to leave for a while.
    disturbedite, I think I found the answer to my problem in the link you posted. When I get back on my Ubuntu box I'll check it out.

Thanks everyone

Beans

no problem.

i do recommend using audacious for every possible reason though.
    Linux User #440528
    openSUSE 12.1 x86_64/KDE 4.8.4