I am now running Kubuntu 8.04 Hardy Herron (Rock Solid version). Overall a great release. Many of the problems that were apparent in Gusty Kubuntu have been fixed out of the box in Hardy. Internet connectivity is fine as is sound and video. In fact I have only had 2 problems that have nothing to do with Hardy itself and instead are due to my customisation of Gutsy pre upgrade.

Hardy has compiz fusion built in while gutsy did not. I did managed to get compiz fusion installed and working on gutsy. Should i have uninstalled compiz fusion before I upgraded to Hardy?

By default Gutsy used strigi for desktop search which I found to be more trouble than it was worth. I removed strigi and installed beagle with Kerry in its place. After the upgrade I now have 2 versions of beagle starting, beagle by istelf and kerry, both of which appear in the task bar. Beagle seems to grab the keyboard shortcuts and Kerry does not. Even when I quit Beagle in the task bar and leave kerry running, Kerry will still not catch the keyboard shortcuts although clicking on the icon works fine and searching works fine.

How do I fix it so that only one is starting, and which should I be using?

Also in an unrelated manner, I am curious to try KDE4. Will KDE4 work with compiz fusion? Is it stable enough for everyday work use? (I am not opposed to tinkering to get things working just right, as long as it is actually possible to get things working)

Can I install KDE4 along side KDE3 and then select which to use on the login screen?