Thread: Adsl?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Adsl?

I am able to connect to the Net with an ethernet cable, no problem. But I need to use an ADSL modem at home, to connect to Chinanet. How do I do this? I tried sudo pppoeconfig once, and merely destroyed the ability to use ethernet, without getting anything from ADSL. I do get a trickle of a connection: the "connected" icon is visible, lower right of screen, but I cannot connect to Google or anything.

Thanks

Lesterness
    Kunming
    China

Beans
    Distro
    Hardy Heron (Ubuntu Development)

Re: Adsl?

If you happen to have a router, it's easier to set up the connection in your router and just run the connection to your computer. That way you don't have to set up your user name and password in Ubuntu.
    Today you are You, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You. - Dr. Seuss

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

What do you mean by "router"? A wifi router? Or something else?

Lesterness

Beans
    Distro
    Hardy Heron (Ubuntu Development)

A router is a box that you plug a line from your modem into, then you can plug multiple computers into. They are used for networking computers. A wireless router is just a router that includes wireless capability so that some computers can connect wirelessly to the network.

Usually, you can set up your router with your user name and password so that the router does the work of connecting to your PPoE account for you, and your computer just has a connection that's already on.

But if you don't have a router, I guess you can't really do it that way.
    Today you are You, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You. - Dr. Seuss