View Poll Results: Does this work for you?

Voters
248. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

137 55.24%
  • No

111 44.76%
Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: How To: The (almost) Perfect Pulse Audio Setup

Beans

Re: How To: The (almost) Perfect Pulse Audio Setup

I've posted a new .deb file above with a patched version of the pulse driver for SDL. If any one feels like trying it out, follow the directions above and post something here about how it works for you. I'm currently using it on my computer and it works good.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

What does the sdl driver do?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by durand View Post
    What does the sdl driver do?
    From the SDL website: "Simple DirectMedia Layer is a cross-platform multimedia library designed to provide low level access to audio, keyboard, mouse, joystick, 3D hardware via OpenGL, and 2D video framebuffer. It is used by MPEG playback software, emulators, and many popular games"

If you run:
    Code:
    apt-cache rdepends libsdl1.2debian
    you can see all of the programs you have that use SDL. This list is very long for me, but the major things that this affect audio-wise are games.

Beans
    Distro

I want to try this guide, problem is I'm have 64 bits 8.04, and the patched deb won't install, I was wondering would installing by your other method (installing libsdl1.2debian-all), work as an alternative?.

I've installed Hardy 3 times because of this sound mess (using other guides), and another question would be, are the changes made in this guide reversable?.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by peacewithall View Post
    I want to try this guide, problem is I'm have 64 bits 8.04, and the patched deb won't install, I was wondering would installing by your other method (installing libsdl1.2debian-all), work as an alternative?.

I've installed Hardy 3 times because of this sound mess (using other guides), and another question would be, are the changes made in this guide reversable?.
    As we speak, I am working on getting the package up in a PPA on launchpad which will make both a x86 and amd64 version available if all goes well.

Beans

I have updated with a new repository and support for other architectures. See the first post.

Beans
    Distro

THANK YOU THANK YOU !!!!

It worked, I now have all my speakers working with the 5.1 guide too, and sound is as clear as a bell. I can confirm I have Ubuntu 8.04 64 bit.

This guide works I don't believe it I need to lay down, phew !!.

Did I say thank you?,

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Thank you for the How To, its great to see how to extend pulse audio to what it should have been at default install.
    Now apps are not getting silenced or capturing the sound daemon exclusively for themself.

Beans
    Distro

Also I have skype sounds back using the 'padsp skype' trick, I have yet to test a call though.

Also for those having no sound problems with WINE I found the following post worked perfectly for me,

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=766872

Its the first post by mriedel, basically set WINE to use only OSS, then add 'padsp ' to the beginning of the wine game link. You can set profiles for every game in WINE too.

Beans

Perfect! Thanks zman! You rock, I can have amarok and firefox going at the same time! Thanks so much, it was really annoying having to close amarok and restart firefox to hear the audio in a flash video.

Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast