Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: [PPC] iBook G4 - Wireless Internet does not work

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

[PPC] iBook G4 - Wireless Internet does not work

My iBook connects to my Airport, but doesn't have any internet connection.

I got to "Hardware Drivers" and it shows "Broadcom B43 wireless driver [ ] in use"
    I click the box to enable it and a box pops up:
    Broadcom B43 wireless driver
    While this driver itself is free software, it relies on proprietary firmware which cannot be legally shipped with the operating system. Your hardware will not work without the firmware.
    I then click "Enable", and it downloads and installs the drivers. So I am now connected to my airport, but there is not internet connection.

The internet connection works perfectly on my Mac OS X partition.

What do I need to do now to get the internet working?

lspci:
    Code:
    0000:00:0b.0 Host bridge: Apple Computer Inc. UniNorth 2 AGP
    0000:00:10.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc M11 NV [FireGL Mobility T2e] (rev 80)
    0001:10:0b.0 Host bridge: Apple Computer Inc. UniNorth 2 PCI
    0001:10:12.0 Network controller: Broadcom Corporation BCM4318 [AirForce One 54g] 802.11g Wireless LAN Controller (rev 02)
    0001:10:17.0 Class ff00: Apple Computer Inc. KeyLargo/Intrepid Mac I/O
    0001:10:18.0 USB Controller: Apple Computer Inc. KeyLargo/Intrepid USB
    0001:10:19.0 USB Controller: Apple Computer Inc. KeyLargo/Intrepid USB
    0001:10:1a.0 USB Controller: Apple Computer Inc. KeyLargo/Intrepid USB
    0001:10:1b.0 USB Controller: NEC Corporation USB (rev 43)
    0001:10:1b.1 USB Controller: NEC Corporation USB (rev 43)
    0001:10:1b.2 USB Controller: NEC Corporation USB 2.0 (rev 04)
    0002:20:0b.0 Host bridge: Apple Computer Inc. UniNorth 2 Internal PCI
    0002:20:0d.0 Class ff00: Apple Computer Inc. UniNorth/Intrepid ATA/100
    0002:20:0e.0 FireWire (IEEE 1394): Apple Computer Inc. UniNorth 2 FireWire (rev 81)
    0002:20:0f.0 Ethernet controller: Apple Computer Inc. UniNorth 2 GMAC (Sun GEM) (rev 80)
    Last edited by ZomGie75; May 1st, 2008 at 12:36 AM.

Beans

Re: [PPC] iBook G4 - Wireless Internet does not work

I have a G3 Lombard and a Broadcom PCMCIA wifi card as the laptop has no airport. I was getting the exact same messages, had the network showing up and the whole 9 yards. I ran"dmesg" in a terminal and the output showed the error which was needing a firmware update-just like your problem.
    The output also had the website to download the update and a link to instructions to install it. Instructions were a bit tough for my skills but it worked perfectly and I have internet.
    I can't go thru the install instructions as I just followed them on the site. If I can do it so can you.
    Good luck

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Wow, I just randomly turned my laptop on, loaded Pidgin, and the wireless suddenly worked. Sweet!

Beans

So has anyone figured out yet how to get an Airport (not Extreme) card working in Ubuntu? I've been checking online for hours now and asking everywhere possible and getting absolutely nowhere. Even been looking into replacing Ubuntu with another distribution but it seems there isn't a single soul that knows how to get Linux to work with an Airport card and that is an absolute requirement for me to use it (the particular distribution).

RN

Beans

I'm using my TiBook G4 and airport has worked since ubuntu 4.something (warty?) I am currently running Hardy and networkmanager works flawlessly using my airport card. Do you have networkmanager installed? It should detect your card and networks and connect.
    Since networkmanager connectivity is much easier. It came out in Dapper, 6.04

Beans

I have 8.04.1. About 3 minutes ago, I got it to seem to work. The connection is too slow to use Gmail (in Ubuntu...works fine in Mac) but it connects now. It seems that when I put in the SSID, it added that name to one domain slot but not enough. Just putting the SSID into the other domain slot seems to have it functioning but we'll see if it lasts through tomorrow too. Hope so...

RN

Beans

At least it works a bit.
    Again,networkmanager just finds networks, anywhere, for me and I choose them and connect. No ids or anything. I have my network settings set to DHCP andall connections are automatically found and done. Do you have networkmanager installed? I use gmail and a regular ISP too and speed is good for either. I use networkmanager on my old G3 Lombard and other thatn installing a driver update it works great too.

Beans

System->Administration->Network. Brings up window called "Network Settings". Wireless connection, wired connection, point to point connection in that. Going to test some new settings again...keep domains but use the other wireless SSID (since it uses the first to assign IP).

Let's call the router that is running DHCP and a wireless network router A. Let's call the Airport router B. Here is the setup that had Ubuntu on a very slow connection (that refuses to show up as a connection anywhere): SSID is set to A (set to WPA without a password since a no password/key option is unavailable and Ubuntu doesn't support WPA), Domain name is set to A, it automatically received from A the DNS servers and A as the Search Domain.

According to all network info I can get from the Mac OS when it's up, here's the faster connection that works when started as Mac OS (in form like the Linux connection above): SSID is set to B (B takes WPA or WPA2 and this computer only wants to function on WPA), Domain is set to A (although this is not a setting I manually change, it is automatically set behind the scenes and only reported to me later when I really dig for settings) and it receives DNS servers and search domain of A from A.

When I try to set it up identically to the Mac setup, Ubuntu refuses to recognize that there is a network of any kind. Ubuntu seems unable to connect to B, whether it's because it does not support WPA/WPA2 or is something else, I don't know. Right now, it's connected to A and barely sustaining enough of a connection to be considered on par with dial-up. It does fine if I stretch a cable across the house at about waist height but that's not exactly an option.

So is there something wrong with Ubuntu that keeps it from using WPA/WPA2 or, more specifically, keeps it from using Airport networks? The Airport is the only consistently strong, reliable signal here (router A is wonderfully spotty in its wireless coverage), so shouldn't there be some way to connect to it? The computer I'm on now is farther away and connects to it no problem.

This is very frustrating.

RN

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by renichms View Post
    System->Administration->Network. Brings up window called "Network Settings". Wireless connection, wired connection, point to point connection in that. Going to test some new settings again...keep domains but use the other wireless SSID (since it uses the first to assign IP).
    You should not use that utility (In fact, I think they are planning to remove it in Intrepid). Set your card back to roaming mode and use the network manager icon near the clock.

Beans

Network-manager is not the same as network settings. Check it out in Synaptic and install it. The other option is Wicd which I don't use because network manager does it all for me but some say Wicd is better:
    http://brainstorm.ubuntu.com/idea/2591/
    for some insight. Wicd is not in the repositories so I guess you need to download it and install it.
    Again, network-manager finds the network and connects either wireless or ethernet. It supports WPA, WEP and other security protocols.
    I would try that avenue first.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast