Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: [PPC] iBook G4 - Wireless Internet does not work

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: [PPC] iBook G4 - Wireless Internet does not work

Quote Originally Posted by renichms View Post
    In the iMac, it refuses to do WPA2 but gets on fine with WPA (when in Mac OS). Everything I read about most versions of Linux say they support WEP, WPA and WPA2 out of the box but I can't get Ubuntu to work with WPA/WPA2 on a closed network. I also can't afford to keep giving time to trying to configure Ubuntu so it'll be useful. 3 days without connecting like it should is about the limit for me.

RN
    Ok, I have pretty similar hardware as you do (Airport original card). Here are the facts as far as I understand them:

1) Ubuntu (and many other Linux distros) support WPA and WPA2 out of the box with many hardware configurations. The issues is whether the linux driver for the network chip supports them. I use WPA2 daily with Ubuntu.

2) For Airport it does not. There is a hacked driver that people have been successfully used in Intel hardware. I and as far as I can tell, no one else, has been successful in getting it work to work on a PPC hardware. If anyone manages do that it would be great.

3) You could buy a USB stick wireless card that is Linux compatible and get WPA2 to work with minimal hacking.

Beans

Re: [PPC] iBook G4 - Wireless Internet does not work

Thanks for the suggestion. I may repartition the entire drive and give Ubuntu a slightly smaller space and then enough space for another Linux distribution and keep Mac OS about same size. Then I have one free partition to experiment with and the computer will, within a few years, be connected directly with a cable so either someone will have it done by then or the cable will have to do. Until then, I think Ubuntu gets shelved.

RN

EDIT: Fedora 9 did the trick. Typing this in Fedora now while the other computer backs up to an external drive. Thanks for trying to help with Ubuntu!
    Last edited by renichms; September 24th, 2008 at 10:31 PM.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123