Thread: Intel mac keyboard won't work in 8.04

Beans

Intel mac keyboard won't work in 8.04

I have a new aluminum imac 2.4 ghz intel core duo 2 20"monitor. I dual boot with Ubuntu and OS X. With Ubuntu 7.10 installed the keyboard worked normally. When I upgraded to 8.04 the keyboard will only work with keys around the uiop keys acting as a keypad.
    I can use the F5 and F6 keys to get to a console (tty5 or tty6), but then can't get back to the desktop or go to any other consoles. The keyboard works normally in the consoles.
    I can log into the desktop using the keyboard, but then the keyboard stops working. The keyboard is the 105 key US alternative - international which is installed by default.
    Since I upgraded from 7.10 I can use grub to boot into the older kernel. When in the old kernel the keyboard works normally. If I attach a standard PC keyboard, then 8.04 works normally. The old kernel from 7.10 is 2.6.22-14-generic. The new one from 8.04 is 2.6.24-16-generic.exhibits
    The keyboard exhibits the same behavior if I boot to the Live CD for Ubuntu 8.04.

Beans

Re: Intel mac keyboard won't work in 8.04

I found this bug report, but have not had a chance to see if it is relevant or has a solution.

https://bugs.launchpad.net/mactel-support/+bug/201887

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by dusie View Post
    I found this bug report, but have not had a chance to see if it is relevant or has a solution.

https://bugs.launchpad.net/mactel-support/+bug/201887
    it is relevant... there is more information here:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=771151

Beans

I had the same problem...the solution is really stupid!!!
    Connect a usb keyboard to the macbook and push the "Block Num" button...then try the mac keyboard and voilà..!

IT WORKS NOW!

For me this procedure was working perfect!

Davide

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Same problem here.

I fixed mine by hitting F6
    HP DV6215: 15.4" glossy widescreen, 2.0 ghz Turion 64, 2gb DDR2, 120 gig hdd, Nvidia Go6150 gfx

Beans
    Distro
    Hardy Heron (Ubuntu Development)

The trick is to hit f6 TWICE to get your letter keys back. Furthermore don't hit the key beneath f16 - this is what turns uiop into numpad. It is a silly kernel bug introduced recently in an attempt to clear up other problems. Hopefully they'll fix it in a future kernel, in the meantime if you search these forums you can find ways to get most of the keyboard features working as you desire them.