Thread: Long Range Wireless

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Question Long Range Wireless

Hi,

I was hoping to get a variety of opinions on wireless routers. I'm hoping to find something dependable and with long range. The network I want to make is two households sharing the same internet connection. They are about two hundred feet apart and there would be as many as nine wireless connections at once. With the computers running XP, OS X, and Linux.

Any feed back I could get on this would be greatly appreciated. I particularly would like to know whether Draft N is worth it and if I would need to upgrade the wireless NICs past G.

Beans

Re: Long Range Wireless

You can buy all kinds of wifi antennas at c crane company in California.
    http://www.ccrane.com/
    I also saw how to make a little "windsurfer" thing on youtube. You can search for "wifi booster" I think. You basically print a template, then stick aluminum to it, and you have a parabolic concentrator of the router's signal.

Beans

I found the WiFi Predator the other day and found it interesting. I'm sure it could be adapted for a point to point relay.

PS. I hope you have a very fat pipe to support 9 workstations.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

I use a linksys wrt54g with high gain antenna and get over 200 ft with strong signal but i have made a cantenna from a pringles can and few connectors and wire and it worked well if only for a directional ant is needed. If you have to you can buy a high gain and mount it outside on a pole saw one mounted 75 feet in the air and it went almost a mile.