Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: login screen bad resolution

Beans

login screen bad resolution

Hi folks!

I've been having an issue with 8.04's login screen. Either the resolution's off or the assumed refresh rate. Not sure, exactly. Once I log in, the screen resolution and refresh rate resets just fine (I was able to set them previously). It's just the login screen (splash screen?) that's all fuzzy (for lack of a better description).

Beans

Re: login screen bad resolution

You mean the GDM? Where you enter your username/password? Like this:

"For those who believe, no explanation is necessary. For those who do not, none will suffice." - Joseph Dunninger

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by freebeer View Post
    Hi folks!

I've been having an issue with 8.04's login screen. Either the resolution's off or the assumed refresh rate. Not sure, exactly. Once I log in, the screen resolution and refresh rate resets just fine (I was able to set them previously). It's just the login screen (splash screen?) that's all fuzzy (for lack of a better description).
    Same here! My native screen resolution is 1680x1050 but my login screen defaults to something like 1280x768. It's not a big deal but back in Feisty it was fine (it's been that way since Gutsy AND Hardy). I just wanna fix it, lol. The login screen kinda annoys me.

We need helpppp!

Beans

Yeah. GDM, eh? Ok... I wasn't sure what to refer to it as. I need to brush up on my components knowledge. If I knew that, then I would have been able to perform a more exact search as I'm sure this question has come up before.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

What video card are you using (ATI, Nvidia, other)? That will help pinpoint the fix method.

Cheers!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Fire_Chief View Post
    What video card are you using (ATI, Nvidia, other)? That will help pinpoint the fix method.
    I'm pretty sure it's an old (and I mean old) Nvidia card. (16 megs, I think) It's on an old machine, too. (Celeron 733) I don't have access to the machine right now to verify. I'm running the default Gnome for now, I may go with a lighter GUI later as the speed is quite sluggish.

BTW, this machine is for my 74 year old father who's finally given in to the idea of having a computer, so I want to make this as simple for him as possible.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Are you using the restricted driver for the Nvidia card? (Check in Administration -> Hardware Drivers)

This issue sounds the same as one I've seen in another thread. See here http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=763107

The fix there worked for me and several others. Not completely sure about your case since the card is so old but it's worth a shot.

Cheers!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Fire_Chief View Post
    Are you using the restricted driver for the Nvidia card?
    Yep, the restricted driver is loaded and working (on this machine I'll take any extra acceleration I can get!)

Thanks for the link! I'll have a look through that and see if it helps.

Beans

If your still having problems there might be something wrong with the 'Virtual' directive in your X Windows settings.

Can you post the output of:

Code:
    cat /etc/X11/xorg.conf
    Today we have 15 minutes of fame, tomorrow 15 minutes of anonymity.
    My Blog | Veza - Opensource TinyURL clone with sensible URLs

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

i am also having this problem with an intel chip.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast