Thread: Totem won't play video because of codec error

Threaded View

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Totem won't play video because of codec error

Hi everyone,

After upgrading to Hardy, I encountered this annoying problem.
    I'm using Totem for all my video needs. When I tried opening a .avi file of .mkv, Totem would claim it didn't have the needed codecs.

However all codecs are properly installed.
    When run in terminal, I get the following message at startup:
    Quote Originally Posted by Totem v2.22.1
    Totem (totem:14915): GStreamer-WARNING **: Failed to load plugin '/usr/lib/gstreamer-0.10/libgstffmpeg.so': /usr/lib/libavcodec.so.1d: undefined symbol: faacDecDecode

** (totem:14914): WARNING **: Failed to create dbus proxy for org.gnome.SettingsDaemon: Could not get owner of name 'org.gnome.SettingsDaemon': no such name
    When I try opening a file, I get the following:

Quote Originally Posted by Totem v2.22.1
    ** Message: don't know how to handle video/x-divx, divxversion=(int)3, framerate=(fraction)2997/125, width=(int)576, height=(int)304
    ** Message: Missing plugin: gstreamer|0.10|totem|DivX MPEG-4 Version 3 decoder|decoder-video/x-divx, divxversion=(int)3 (DivX MPEG-4 Version 3 decoder
    I have medibuntu and all codecs/packages installed. So if anybody has an idea...

[SOLVED]Cor2y had the idea that fixed everything and this is the solution:
    Quote Originally Posted by Cor2y
    1.Ok lets see is libx264 installed? Seems now theres an X264 error. Which is good we seem to be making progress.

2.Yup, but I have 3 options in Syn.
    libx264-54
    libx264-57

libx264-dev

I can re-install the 57, but I can only completely remove the 54

3. Completely remove all three. The latest version is libx264-57 is the latest for hardy. libx264-dev is if you plan to compile a multimedia app that requires the use of libx264 an example would be your own version of mplayer or ffmpeg, avidemux etc. So you don't need libx264-dev installed. Then re-install only libx264-57 Do you have sources from the previous version of ubuntu enabled in your repos? libx264-54 was in gutsy.

4. Solved after removing gstreamer, then completely removing both libx264-54 and libx264-57, then reinstalling libx264-57.
    Last edited by Maupertus; May 1st, 2008 at 09:14 PM. Reason: [SOLVED] Added the solution to the first post for ease of use.
    "All of your base are belong to us!"