Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How-To: Media-Server with Streaming to Xbox 360 (Includes Torrents and Podcasts)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: How-To: Media-Server with Streaming to Xbox 360 (Includes Torrents and Podcasts)

@ trying_least:

As the machine will only be transmitting the data it should be fine to stream to the Xbox 360. It is the Xbox 360 that actually does all the video decoding, so you should be ok.

My box isn't much faster and I can watch full 1080p WMV's via my 100mb ethernet.

You should be ok for this setup.

Oh... and yes... you can use an external USB drive. Infact, I mount a 500gb USB drive to /mediaserver instead of creating the folders. Seems to work a treat .

HB

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: How-To: Media-Server with Streaming to Xbox 360 (Includes Torrents and Podcasts)

@ BBJC:

Are you sure you've installed PodGet?

Also, the file may not exist at all on boot... you may have to create it and fill it with that information. If you ran a "sudo nano" then it should just create it when you save it.

Then just continue with the guide.

HB

Beans

I'm having an issue with this as well. The error is something like can't save filename..

This part through a clue to I was in the wrong dir, or I may not of installed the podget. So I did a
    find / -name 'podget' 2>/dev/null to see if it was installed, and found it under /usr.

So on to the clue you suggested that "If you changed this directory in the previous step, change it here". Well following the steps you provided, we should be in the mediaserver dir. I'm just asking if this is the dir that I should be in.??

I also tried the nano to create edit, also tried a vi editor and was still getting the same results.

maybe I missed something not sure. I do understand that this post is old, so if I don't get a reply thats cool, or if you can help or point me in the right direction as well would be helpful.

thanks

Beans

Would TVersity work to stream files?

Beans

so this streams to both at the same time?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Very comprehensive how-to indeed. I am going to be doing something similar in my home network. I would keep a headless server, will use keyboard, monitor only for intial-setup. Also, in my setup LAMP installed (webmaster testing)

Laptop= windows
    headless CPU= Ubuntu Server

I really liked your idea of managing torrents remotely & automatically.
    Last edited by johnycage; February 25th, 2010 at 03:39 AM. Reason: wrong pic

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Alright I am running a headless server at this point I am utilizing:
    Torrentflux
    transmission cli
    sortTV
    MiniDLNA

Currently TorrentFlux is running RSSad via (ShowRSS) I am currently downloading all the television shows that I like to watch, sortTV sorts them, renames them, places them in their appropriate folder for viewing later, miniDLNA serves it up to my network for viewing via wifi bluray. The next step is for me to get my favorite video podcasts downloading automatically then sort them to their appropriate folders.

podget is an old bash file in Maverick the file installs to /usr/bin the file has to be copied and saved as .sh then executed once then it will creat the POD/LOG & .podcast directories containing the before mentioned files requiring modification.

After sorting this out and making the above listed changes I attempt to run the file and I receive a few errors, and being of linux newb status I am not certain what I need to do to navigate past these errors.

Code:
    :~$ podget -l
    podget

Session file not found.  Creating.
    /usr/bin/podget: line 450: [: too many arguments
    /usr/bin/podget: line 481: [: /home/maverick/.podget/serverlist: binary operator expected
    /usr/bin/podget: line 457: $current_serverlist: ambiguous redirect
    /usr/bin/podget: line 481: [: /home/maverick/.podget/serverlist: binary operator expected
    /usr/bin/podget: line 457: $current_serverlist: ambiguous redirect
    /usr/bin/podget: line 658: [: too many arguments

Closing session and removing lock file.
    Can anyone point me in the right direction, there is not much in regard to help on the internet for podget so I am turning to the Ubuntu forums..

Thanks in advance.
    Ubuntu 5.10 Kernel 2.6.12-10.26 <in the beginning>
    Ubuntu 10.10 Kernel Linux 2.6.35-23-generic-pae<I am back,2010.10.08>

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

bump
    Anyone have any idea how to or can assist with this?
    Ubuntu 5.10 Kernel 2.6.12-10.26 <in the beginning>
    Ubuntu 10.10 Kernel Linux 2.6.35-23-generic-pae<I am back,2010.10.08>

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12