Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Who really needs a new machine ????

Beans

Re: Who really needs a new machine ????

Quote Originally Posted by LaRoza View Post
    If you want more, getting a new monitor is a good bet. A larger monitor does more for than a new computer if what you have does what you want.
    +1

Besides a bigger monitor (24"-30") I would also love another cpu core but thats a bit hard to find for socket 939...

Beans
    Hidden!

i built mine to last a while and its doing just fine right now. amd64 3800 x2, nvidia 7800gt. sure, ive just bought new ram because one of my 1gb sticks broke, and i had to replace the motherboard at christmas because it fried (i just bought the same one for £25). i do get the urge to buy new stuff, but not a new system. ive invested in a good quiet cpu fan, and my nvidia 7800gt is now fanless with a massive heatsink. its connected to a 32" HDTV, and i have a shiny and fairly new wireless keyboard and mouse.

im always reminded of that old joke from only fools and horses where trigger, a cleaner/sweeper says something like:

"ive just got an award for having the same broom for 10 years. its had 8 new broomhandles and 12 new broomheads"

like many linux users, i cant stop myself from tinkering and customising both the operating system, and the system its self. i dont know when ill have a fully new desktop system again, maybe never, ill just keep upgrading and changing things in and out over the next 10 years until i can buy something 100 times faster and 1/100th of the size

Beans

"Supreme Commander" dint run too well on my old AthlonXP 2500+. If It werent for that game I would still be using it, but so it forced me to get a Athlon64 X2 4800+.

But while I was building I improved my system in a different way than power... I now only have a single downvolted 120mm fan which is enough to keep the whole system cool
    The only thing thats barely audible are the harddrives

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12