Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Arrgh. Tripple boot intel macbook pro, Hardy, Leopard.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Arrgh. Tripple boot intel macbook pro, Hardy, Leopard.

Well I tried the oficial ubuntu installation guide for getting a triple boot on a second generation macbook pro.

I used bootcamp to do the windows install, and then devided the windows partion up to install ubuntu from the live cd.

Rebooting after install failed to be able to boot ubuntu through rEFIt.
    Ended up bein destructive.
    Tried reinstalling windows and the dreaded hal dll file missing error.
    well, it had worked fine the previous install...
    So here's what I currenly have:
    My mac partition,
    a 6 gig partion,
    another 6 gig partion,
    and a swap.

Not even a double boot now.
    I can't even get OS X's boot camp to delete the changes and restore the areas bac to mac.
    It won't let me reinstall wilndows through the mac way either.

I have now one OS and some extra waste partions that even disc utility in OS X can't get rid of.

I would like to do this properly. Help!

-Sara
    Last edited by suchawato; April 30th, 2008 at 11:59 AM.

Beans

Re: Arrgh. Tripple boot intel macbook pro, Hardy, Leopard.

Hardy has a problem that may wipe your MBR partition table.
    list your GPT table and mbr table here by:
    open a terminal in OS X and type
    diskutil list
    sudo fdisk /dev/rdisk0
    and copy the output of the command here.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Quote Originally Posted by suchawato View Post
    Well I tried the oficial ubuntu installation guide for getting a triple boot on a second generation macbook pro.

I used bootcamp to do the windows install, and then devided the windows partion up to install ubuntu from the live cd.

Rebooting after install failed to be able to boot ubuntu through rEFIt.
    Ended up bein destructive.
    Tried reinstalling windows and the dreaded hal dll file missing error.
    well, it had worked fine the previous install...
    So here's what I currenly have:
    My mac partition,
    a 6 gig partion,
    another 6 gig partion,
    and a swap.

Not even a double boot now.
    I can't even get OS X's boot camp to delete the changes and restore the areas bac to mac.
    It won't let me reinstall wilndows through the mac way either.

I have now one OS and some extra waste partions that even disc utility in OS X can't get rid of.

I would like to do this properly. Help!

-Sara
    Hi,

I have an Intel Macbook and I've successfully managed to get triple boot on it, quite simple too

Here how:

1 - Make sure you use Leopard and have it updated (10.5.2).
    2 - Start BootCamp and create a partition for Windows XP (15G is enough).
    3 - Don't install it through Bootcamp.
    4 - Insert Windows CD and reboot holding C when you hear the beeping sound.
    5 - Windows instalation should start, follow the usual instalation process of Windows.
    6 - If it reboots during instalation, you press ALT during reboot so that you can pick Windows instalation.
    7 - After Windows is installed, insert your Leopard DVD and it should install all your Apple drivers and stuff.
    8 - Update your Apple Software (there will be an option on the start menu to do so).
    9 - Update Windows XP.
    10 - Now that Windows is installed, get back to MacOS, we are going to install Linux now.
    11 - Start Disk Utility and create a new partition on Machintosh HD, name it Linux
    12 - Insert Linux CD and reboot holding C
    13 - On Linux instalation, delete the partition you created (Linux) because its HFS, and set it as ext3 and mount /. Don't need to create swap (I know its going to warn you, but ignore it).
    14 - At the last step of setup, click advanced because you need to change where GRUB is going to be installed, choose sdaX (which X is your Linux partition).
    15 - Let it install Ubuntu.
    16 - Get back to MacOS, install rEFIt, reboot and run the partition manager of rEFIt, which should take care of every detail of booting for each OS.
    17 - Reboot and that's it.

This is what I did, referenced here: http://www.jbkempf.com/blog/post/200...windows-Mac-OS

Black MacBook (2008): MacOSX + Windows XP + Ubuntu 8.04
    Ubuntu = FREEDOM = Free, Reliability, Evolving, Enlightning, Durable, Omnipotent and Mine

Beans

I have the latest macbook 2008 (5th gen I think.)

Will this method work with it as well?

(Edit)* I noticed on that link he mentions which laptop he tested this out on which is the 2008. Cool

Do you guys have any problems that can't be dealt with with ubuntu on a mac?

Thanks, Id love to be triple booting right now!!!!
    Last edited by JCasper; April 30th, 2008 at 10:34 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Quote Originally Posted by JCasper View Post
    I have the latest macbook 2008 (5th gen I think.)

Will this method work with it as well?

(Edit)* I noticed on that link he mentions which laptop he tested this out on which is the 2008. Cool

Do you guys have any problems that can't be dealt with with ubuntu on a mac?

Thanks, Id love to be triple booting right now!!!!
    I have everything working on Ubuntu on my Macbook (Its 2008 gen too). Had to find how to enable the sound, iSight camera, wifi and the two finger right click for the trackpad, but everything is fine now.

Any problems setting the triple boot, post them

Ubuntu = FREEDOM = Free, Reliability, Evolving, Enlightning, Durable, Omnipotent and Mine

Beans

MTZeon: I don't think you will be able to boot XP again without changing the partition number of XP in the boot.ini after installing ubuntu. And you may have not tried ubuntu 8.04, which is different and may require syncing partition tables after install.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

I didn't have any problems booting into Windows XP. And I have Ubuntu 8.04 After installing Ubuntu, all I had to do was run the rEFIt partition manager and sync the tables.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by MTZeon View Post
    I didn't have any problems booting into Windows XP.
    I don't understand. Maybe you would not mind posting your MBR/GPT tables and XP file boot.ini?
    I think your XP was originally partition 3 and then partition 4.
    And also I don't understand your link http://www.jbkempf.com/blog/post/200...windows-Mac-OS where you also created a swap that made XP partition 5. I would believe unless you manually edited MBR table to skip some partitions XP cannot even see himself.

Quote Originally Posted by MTZeon View Post
    And I have Ubuntu 8.04 After installing Ubuntu, all I had to do was run the rEFIt partition manager and sync the tables.
    You did not say you had synced the tables so i misunderstood. Sorry i did not read carefully enough. But it is partition tool not partition manager. I really did not understand by 'partition manager' what you meant
    Last edited by billbear; May 1st, 2008 at 04:28 PM.

Beans

Awesome news MTZeon, very promising. I am going to attempt the set up this weekend and will be sure to post my problems

Thanks again!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Quote Originally Posted by billbear View Post
    I don't understand. Maybe you would not mind posting your MBR/GPT tables and XP file boot.ini?
    I think your XP was originally partition 3 and then partition 4.
    And also I don't understand your link http://www.jbkempf.com/blog/post/200...windows-Mac-OS where you also created a swap that made XP partition 5. I would believe unless you manually edited MBR table to skip some partitions XP cannot even see himself.
    I did edit the boot.ini so that it didn't show twice Windows XP...come to think of it, first time I tryed to install Windows XP, it hang and I rebooted and reinstalled it again on the same drive...I kept the entry that was booting, maybe that's why I didn't have any problems booting from it when I ran the partition tool. You want a screenshot of MBR/GPT tables? Or is there another way to show you what I have here? (maybe rEFIt files... I'll check).
    That link isn't mine, I just followed what he said, for most part

Quote Originally Posted by billbear View Post
    You did not say you had synced the tables so i misunderstood. Sorry i did not read carefully enough. But it is partition tool not partition manager. I really did not understand by 'partition manager' what you meant
    No problem

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast