Thread: [SOLVED] acpid and apmd redundant?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

[SOLVED] acpid and apmd redundant?

my understanding is that acpi is meant to replace apmd.

i am running 8.04 on a fairly new dell xps m1330, and under system > administration > services both acpid and apmd are enabled by default. is this correct, or can/should i disable apmd?

thanks,
    ethan

UPDATE: I have disabled the apmd via system > administration > services and still have full hibernate/suspend functionality. I am leaving acpid running.
    Last edited by ethanay; May 13th, 2008 at 12:05 AM. Reason: updating

Beans

Re: acpid and apmd redundant?

Hi Ethan,

if you PC is recent you can try to disable the apmd service since it's used only in motherborads made before 2000. In case you get some issues you can always re-enable it from service settings menu.

If you disable apmd on the service settings and everything works fine using only acpid, you can remove the apmd package with synaptic.

hope this helps!
    Last edited by astadolfo3; May 8th, 2008 at 01:35 PM.

Beans
    Distro

Re: acpid and apmd redundant?

yes, it does, thank you! I understand for compatibility why it still exists -- but for a default install I think it is a bit overwhelming to include apm, acpi, and pm-utils all. When all are enabled by default, it implies to me, "These have separate functions so don't disable unless you want to screw something up." However, then I read others' writing that pm-utils replaces acpi replaces apm, and it just leaves me confused.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: [SOLVED] acpid and apmd redundant?

Does this also mean that, because I have an old desktop, I can safely disable or uninstall acpid?
    i5 2500k | Gigabyte Z68 UD3p | Corsair 1600LP 8gb | MSI HD6870 TwinFrozer | Samsung 830 SSD/WD Black | Seasonic 520w modular
    http://spankmon.wordpress.com

Beans
    Distro

i believe so -- you can try it, since it won't hurt anything. just uncheck the box in the administration > services (or sessions, i forget which). if it messes something up, recheck the box. if all is well, you can uninstall completely.

Beans

Brilliant. I was having all kinds of sleep and hibernate issues where the system would freeze before powering off. I diabled apmd and the problem seems to be fixed. Thanks for the suggestion!

Beans

If you are operating a desktop, always plugged in, do you actually need either one?