Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: cannot change screen resolution after upgrade to 8.04

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

cannot change screen resolution after upgrade to 8.04

I am stuck at low resolution after upgrading to 8.04. I installed envy, it returns my system will not support envy. I looked in many threads and tried to load restricted drivers to no avail. I downloaded the new driver 173.08 onto my desktop. Gedit cannot open it, sudo will not open it. I see nothing in any thread that will help me. I have an XFX GeForce 8600GT card. I just cannot find a place to allow more than 800x600. I'm heading to bed I'm about worn out. Any way to fix this problem? Thanks fi\or the help.

Mark Shuman

Beans

Re: cannot change screen resolution after upgrade to 8.04

install envy ng and run it it will set every thing up for you http://www.albertomilone.com/nvidia_scripts1.html
    Quote Originally Posted by Homer J. Simpson
    "Dinner is the perfect break between work, and drunk."

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Envy is availible in the repositories. Just run it and first unload any drivers you have loaded and restart. Then run it again and select to Automatically load the new driver.
    CyberPower Gamer Ultra 7209 | AMD Athlon II X2 240 | 6 GB RAM | 1000GB & 500GB SATA-II HD
    ATI Radeon HD4550 | HP 2430 Printer | Ubuntu 11.04 | Windows 7 | ViewSonic VA703b Monitor

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

I uninstalled my vidio drivers and attempted to install new drivers with Envy. Envy erased my drivers and then when trying to install them stated my system will not support Envy and refused to install any drivers. Ubuntu is now totally useless. The log in screen is ghosted with multiple log in boxes, resolution is nil and I have black bars all over the place. I believe Ubuntu is now defunct. I really am not sure how to proceed. I may just put the 7.10 disc back in and see if it will rescue the system. Any suggestions? BTW I'm back using XP again. Any help would be appreciated. I gotta head out to work. I'll be back later today.

Mark Shuman

PS the crash monitor kept deploying all througout the process. I didn't read what was crashing. It started going off immediatly after I updated. This so far has not been a plesant upgrade. I was looking to get the LTS of 8.04. That is why I decided to upgrade 7.10 was working just fine.
    Last edited by phread59; April 30th, 2008 at 11:39 AM. Reason: additional thoughts

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Quote Originally Posted by phread59 View Post
    I uninstalled my vidio drivers and attempted to install new drivers with Envy. Envy erased my drivers and then when trying to install them stated my system will not support Envy and refused to install any drivers. Ubuntu is now totally useless. The log in screen is ghosted with multiple log in boxes, resolution is nil and I have black bars all over the place. I believe Ubuntu is now defunct. I really am not sure how to proceed. I may just put the 7.10 disc back in and see if it will rescue the system. Any suggestions? BTW I'm back using XP again. Any help would be appreciated. I gotta head out to work. I'll be back later today.

Mark Shuman
    Did you install envy or envyng? For hh8.04 you need the second one
    8.10 on HDX16-1050ev
    My Ubuntu Blog

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Yes I installed NG. A coupla thoughts. When I logged back in the second time I looked at the kernel notes in grub. It looks like it is still using 14 generic (?). It looks like it is the same kernel as 7.10 used. Maybe I have a kernel issue? I have a 7.10 live disc. Should I try to get a 8.04 live disc and use system repair from the live CD menue. Or can I use the 7.10 disc? BTW I used Update Manager to update with. I have been having issues with it. I deleted it and reinstalled it a week ago. It wouldn't calculate the update. I have since determined that the updates it would not do was an update for itself. Could Update manager have dorked me? I'm at work and snuck this in for more info to help the diagnosis.

Mark Shuman

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Bump for the lunchtime crowd.

Mark Shuman

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Bump for the evening crowd. Before I gab this bull by the horns and wrastle with it, any suggestions?

Mark shuman

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Well I sorta fixed my issue with the update to 8.04,sorta, kinda. I had to kill Ubuntu. I downloaded the 8.04 ISO and burned a new disc. I tried to repair with a live session. It would have none of it. So I just bit the bullet and installed 8.04 anew. I ended up killing everything I had done with 7.10. And I gotta start all over again. Oh well with the issues I had with Update Manager in 7.10 I guess it is all for the good. I'm happy to have the LTS of 8.04. Hopefully I will not need to upgrade for a long time. And lo and behold although it has changed in appearance GRUB is still with me and configured properly for my dual boot with XP. At least I don't have to go through that hassle again. It sorta takes the sting out of loosing everything.

As a side, if the developers see this post please take note. I am not the only one dealing with a screen resolution problem from an update through Update manager. I believe there should be an inquery into this problem. I think a good solution would be to have an update ISO and just burn a disc and do it from the computer instead of over the NET. I hope this can help some poor sole who is borked as bad as I was.

Mark Shuman

Beans

I had the same issue today after upgrading some 7.X Ubuntu to 8.04 via the option offered in automatic updates: After the upgrade the machine only allowed standard display resolutions: 800x640 and below. In my case the high resolution was available again after DISABLING (!) the NVIDIA accelerated graphics driver ( system -> Administration -> Hardware Drivers ). Although this brought back the high resolution, special graphics options seem to be unavailable in this setup. But at lease this workaround allows some normal display for office + browsing applications.

Ralf

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast