Thread: Quick Question

Hybrid View

Beans

Quick Question

A friend of mine has a laptop, and on the laptop his OS Crashed and wont boot up. Will I be able to plug in a Live Linux CD and get the Files he needs off of his hard drive?

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Re: Quick Question

it has been a while since i've had two OS's on my comp...but i do remember being to access the windows filesystem...just need to install ubuntu on another partition and not erase the windows one
    good luck

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

It depends on the nature of the crash. If the driver controller melted (yeah extreme example) then there isn't much you could do.

I would still try a live cd. Then you would at least have some idea if there is a hard ware problem, or an issue with the OS itself keeping it from booting properly.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Monicker View Post
    It depends on the nature of the crash. If the driver controller melted (yeah extreme example) then there isn't much you could do.

I would still try a live cd. Then you would at least have some idea if there is a hard ware problem, or an issue with the OS itself keeping it from booting properly.
    Right now I am downloading Slax for a live CD.

As for the Crash, its a file that XP runs off that is corrupt or deleted and cannot be fixed with the CD.

So my friend needs to get all his files off of the hard drive so he can format it.

Thanks for the quick replies.