Thread: Help with wireless networking and resolution.

Beans

Help with wireless networking and resolution.

Hey everyone. I just recently installed Linux (Ubuntu) again after maybe 2yrs or so. When I used Linux before, I was connecting via Cat5. Now, I'm using a wireless home network and I'm having some problems detecting the router.

I am using Ubuntu 8.04 on my HP Laptop. The laptop is standard with HP's WiFi 802.11 etc. etc. What are the steps that I need to do in order to get my laptop connected to the internet via wireless connection?

Also, I can't remember the files that you edit to add in new resolution and I forget where those files are located. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Help with wireless networking and resolution.

For resolution check this thread http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=83973

as for the wireless is the wireless card detected and can be enabled from hardware drivers, if not please provide the name of the card

Beans

It's an Atheros Comm. card. A friend of mine says that it's well supported so I should be able to find information on it. No luck as of yet.

Beans
    Distro

which model of the card is it

Beans

Not sure.

When I do a iwconfig or ifconfig, it does not show my ath0 setting. Any ideas what is causing this? The internet works fine with Ethernet, now. Any suggestions?

Beans

Oh, I did an lspci -v and the return was AR242x 802.11abg Wireless PCI Express Adapter.

Beans
    Distro

well it looks like Atheros cards arent officially supported in Ubuntu https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Wi...CardsSupported
    But if you can find the model of the card then it might work with ndiswrapper

Beans
    Distro