Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Gnome hangs on 'quit' button

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Gnome hangs on 'quit' button

Hi guys!
    Is anyone else having this problem?
    It started for me in Gusty, which is one of the reasons I stuck to Feisty before fresh installing Hardy. Essentially, when I click the 'quit' button to log out / restart / whatever, GDM hangs. It's not a serious hang, as ctrl+alt+backspace pulls me back out to the login window, but very annoying. Are there any gnome specific logs, or ways of tracking this error? Thanks

Beans

Re: Gnome hangs on 'quit' button

If you have disabled the power-manager, it's not unusual to see a 30 sec delay or similar before the logout/reboot/shutdown dialog box comes up. I've had this problem for ages (since i always disable the power manager). If i re-enable the power manager, the delay disappears.

/Sune

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Great tip - you are correct, the gnome logout screen is simply taking a long time. HOWEVER the power management trick did not work. Any other ideas?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Sometimes a background application is still mananaging something and need time to be closed.

Other times applications in other workspaces are in a popup menu (something like : the file has not been saved, do you want to save ?) and those pop up block the shutdown procedure. Usually the mouse will not work in changing workspaces, but you can use ctrl-alt+arrow keys to reach the popup and close it.

Try also to launch shutdown from terminal with '-h now' options and see what happens.
    You'll pay for all your sins. If you already paid, please disregard this message.

Beans

I have the same problem. I have filed a bug report(#223162). Ctrl-Alt-Del doesn't work and causes Gnome to hang. Ctrl-Alt-Backspace works. If I issue sudo shutdown now, the X error console comes up. If I add the -h option, it shuts down fine.
    Last edited by Lambdoid; May 8th, 2008 at 03:11 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

turning the gnome-power-manager back on solved it for me. i had disabled it.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Which power management are you using? It didn't work for me, but there are two installed apmd and acpid... is there a difference? are they contradicting eachother?
    Thanks,

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I'm having the same issue. I noticed that it is somehow tied to the power manager. It's enabled for me, but when I switch from battery to AC (or vice versa), the icon sometime disappears. This is when the quit button hangs. Sometimes the power icon will re-appear after a few minutes and then the quit button works fine.

This may be unrelated, but scripts I have set to run on suspend and resume, which worked fine in Gutsy, are not being run.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Quote Originally Posted by MaddMatt View Post
    Which power management are you using? It didn't work for me, but there are two installed apmd and acpid... is there a difference? are they contradicting eachother?
    Thanks,
    I have both of those enabled in System -> Administration -> Services. But what fixed the hang on quit problem was going to System -> Preferences -> Sessions -> Startup Programs and enabling (or adding) gnome-power-manager. As soon as I did that the log off window started popping up immediately upon hitting quit.

Beans

Unhappy Re: Gnome hangs on 'quit' button

I have had the same problem since I installed Hardy 64 (beta). At first I just thought it was a beta issue, but it has lingered. Unfortunately, adding gnome-power-manager had no effect. Whenever I shutdown, I have to remember to hit ctrl-alt-del to kill the session or it just hangs. I'm not sure where to look to find out what's causing the problem though.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast