Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: kdevelop

Beans

kdevelop

So I'm clearly Noob when it comes to Linux, been using it for 3 days now but I want to make a successful transition from Windows. I am a CS Major in college looking for a good IDE for linux, and I heard about KDevelop.

i downloaded the KDevelop-3.5.1.tar.bz2. I don't understand how you guys do this, I can't figure out how to install the program onto my machine.

So... How do i take this .tar.bz2 file and install the program that lies within it?

Thank you.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Re: kdevelop

What you need to do is called "compiling from source". Instructions can be found here: http://monkeyblog.org/ubuntu/installing/#source

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Zalorioresscon View Post
    So I'm clearly Noob when it comes to Linux, been using it for 3 days now but I want to make a successful transition from Windows. I am a CS Major in college looking for a good IDE for linux, and I heard about KDevelop.

i downloaded the KDevelop-3.5.1.tar.bz2. I don't understand how you guys do this, I can't figure out how to install the program onto my machine.

So... How do i take this .tar.bz2 file and install the program that lies within it?

Thank you.
    you don't neet to compile kdevelop from source just
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install kdevelop
    should install it.

To add using widgets instead of forms takes some getting used to
    linux != *******
    Last edited by martrn; April 30th, 2008 at 02:59 AM.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by martrn View Post
    you don't neet to compile kdevelop just
    Code:
    should install it
    Ahh yes, good idea. I just read that he'd downloaded the tar already so... yeah. My bad there.

Beans

Okay so I got that figured out, now I am having a problem with the ./configure

i type ./configure and a whole lot of jargon scrolls the screen, and comes to:

"checking for X... configure: error: Can't find X libraries. Please check your installation and add the correct paths!"

does this mean the package i downloaded is incomplete?

Beans
    Distro

Yeah, just forget what I told you. It's way too complicated for what you're trying to do. Just go to Accessories > Terminal and type this:

Code:
    That will install it.

Beans

So what exactly determines when i can use commands like sudo apt-get install?

Beans
    Distro

If a program is in your enabled repositiories then you should always install with apt-get. (Wikipedia on repositiories) Depending on which repos you have enabled, that will determine which programs you'll be able to install with apt-get.

If one of your repos doesn't have a specific program, then your next method should be to go to the programs website and find a .deb file (the Linux version of an .exe file) and install it using that.

If all else fails, compiling from source is your last option.

Beans

awesome, thank you so much. is anybody here familiar with KDevelop? i got it installed but already it's giving me hell to figure out how to compile C++ programs lol. giving me all kinds of makefile errors and such when i try to compile.

Beans
    Distro

Try asking over in the Developing and Programming Forum: http://ubuntuforums.org/forumdisplay.php?f=310

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast