Thread: Compiz is updated, but missing plugins?

Beans

Exclamation Compiz is updated, but missing plugins?

ok, so i am an Ubuntu n00b, but i also have some friends who use it regularly and they are stumped, so i turn to you.
    I have compiz fusion and love it. as to how i installed it i have no idea, just looked around the internet and ended up with:

Code:
    sudo apt-get install compizconfig-settings-manager compiz-fusion-plugins-main compiz-fusion-plugins-extra compiz-gnome compiz-plugins libcompizconfig0
    Well, looking on the compiz site, I realized that I'm missing some plugins (mainly Atlantis). I figured it wasn't a problem, i would just update compiz. well, whenever i try:

Code:
    sudo apt-get install compiz
    it claims that i already have the latest version and does nada. am i even doing it right? any help?

Beans

Re: Compiz is updated, but missing plugins?

Ok, i think i made things worse... i did a complete uninstall (using sudo apt-get remove), then reinstall with the origional code and with compiz-fusion-plugins-unsupported. for some reason i had to alter more of the code, ending up with
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install compizconfig-settings-man compiz-fusion-plugins-main compiz-fusion-plugins-extra compiz-fusion-plugins-unsupported compizconfig-backend-gconf compiz-gnome compiz-plugins libcompizconfig0
    i ran this, and it gave me the following:

dpkg: error processing /var/cache/apt/archives/compiz-fusion-plugins-extra_0.7.4-0ubuntu1_i386.deb (--unpack):
    trying to overwrite `/usr/share/compiz/3d.xml', which is also in package compiz-fusion-plugins-unsupported
    dpkg-deb: subprocess paste killed by signal (Broken pipe)
    Errors were encountered while processing:
    /var/cache/apt/archives/compiz-fusion-plugins-extra_0.7.4-0ubuntu1_i386.deb
    E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)

then it gave me a crash message at the top of the screen, and now the advanced desktop settings options is under system->preferences, and it opens compiz and has all the plugins, but none of them are having any effect on the computer... halp please?

Beans

Re: Compiz is updated, but missing plugins?

I don't think Atlantis is included in the build available from the repositories. Try the git install script, it'll get you the latest (unstable) build.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=763829