Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Upgrading from Jaunty to Karmic?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Upgrading from Jaunty to Karmic?

I have a Pangolin P5 with the jaunty os factory installed.
    This has most likely been discussed many times. My apologies for not checking at length for past posts on this subject.
    My question is: Is it really that advantageous for me to upgrade to the new Karmic os? The Jaunty os seems to be working quite well.
    I was going to upgrade to Karmic, however I got to the "no turning back" point for the install, and there was a warning prompt that warned of several applications (programs) would be lost during the upgrade - and that I would have to re-install those applications after the upgrade.
    Don't think I want to go through all that. Maybe it would be best to stick with the Jaunty.
    Any comments?

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Upgrading from Jaunty to Karmic?

I personally prefer Karmic over Jaunty... mostly because Jaunty would crash out my Pangolin 4 and made it unusable. I don't know why it happened to just me but it did

Lucid is out in April so now wouldn't be a bad time to upgrade since you'll probably want to wait a few months before going to Lucid anyways.
    "Always be wary of any helpful item that weighs less than its operating manual." - Terry Pratchett

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Karmic is a pretty solid OS. I've been quite pleased with it, although the upgrade process itself went pretty roughly for a lot of people.
    To err is human, to forgive is very ... dog-like.

Thomas Aaron
    FetchMasters, LLC

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

I finally took the plunge and have 9.10 installed on three of my Linux boxes. The upgrade on my Starling hosed my system, but I did a clean install with a USB stick. My first generation Darter was also a clean install. My third generation Darter was upgraded successfully. The upgrade merely disabled and then removed my third party apps. Mostly restricted codecs. On balance, I like 9.10 better. Burning optical discs seems to be more reliable, it "seems" a bit speedier. Normally, I do not like change for change's sake. But this upgrade seems to be worth it. Once I go to 10.04, I will probably skip a few upgrades. Just my opinion.

Joe

Oops, spoke too soon. The upgrade to 9.10 killed sound on my DARU3. I know this has been brought up in these forums before, but since I am the impatient type, and I had all of my important stuff backed up, I just did a clean install and everything works fine. Now I am three for three. I guess the next time I will just go to a clean install instead.

Joe
    Last edited by jml; January 28th, 2010 at 02:48 PM. Reason: update

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

No s76-specific comments, but on my linux desktop at work, I had no problems with the upgrade. The Intrepid -> Jaunty upgrade was much more difficult. Graphics drivers killed me there. Jaunty -> Karmic was very straightforward.

I had no programs go away with this upgrade. Even stuff I'd upgraded "the hard way" like Gimp and OO.o from their own repositories upgraded just fine to Karmic.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I have a separate home partition on my laptop and desktop so doing a clean install is great. From what I've seen on these forums I've always steered away from upgrading ... but maybe I should do it some time to learn a bit more

Overall, I'm happy with Karmic and neither system I use has issues running it.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Quote Originally Posted by bro brian View Post
    I have a Pangolin P5 with the jaunty os factory installed.
    This has most likely been discussed many times. My apologies for not checking at length for past posts on this subject.
    My question is: Is it really that advantageous for me to upgrade to the new Karmic os? The Jaunty os seems to be working quite well.
    I was going to upgrade to Karmic, however I got to the "no turning back" point for the install, and there was a warning prompt that warned of several applications (programs) would be lost during the upgrade - and that I would have to re-install those applications after the upgrade.
    Don't think I want to go through all that. Maybe it would be best to stick with the Jaunty.
    Any comments?
    I actually almost started posting this exact question not long ago. I'm also using a PanP5 with Jaunty (preinstalled by System76), and it's working very well for me. I'll probably wait either until Lucid Lynx comes out unless something happens that forces me to reinstall the OS.

But for those who have upgraded, what major differences did you notice when comparing Jaunty to Karmic? I'm not talking about speedier boot times and so forth, but is there anything that would prompt folks like me and Bro Brian to move into Karmic when Jaunty is working well?

Take care --

Sam

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by samalex View Post
    I actually almost started posting this exact question not long ago. I'm also using a PanP5 with Jaunty (preinstalled by System76), and it's working very well for me. I'll probably wait either until Lucid Lynx comes out unless something happens that forces me to reinstall the OS.

But for those who have upgraded, what major differences did you notice when comparing Jaunty to Karmic? I'm not talking about speedier boot times and so forth, but is there anything that would prompt folks like me and Bro Brian to move into Karmic when Jaunty is working well?

Take care --

Sam
    I did it because I support a few others that I have convinced to use Ubuntu and wanted to get used to future changes like the add/remove going to software center and other minor changes I will encounter in the future. I figured it would be best to slowly get used to what I see now than work with Lucid and wait to upgrade others running 8.04 or whatever was current when they moved.

So, no nothing glaring, if Jaunty works find for you, no need to introduce potential problems

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

samalex, I was having problems burning .iso images in 9.04. Burns failing, leaving me with a lot of pretty coasters. I think it was Tom who mentioned on this forum that the disc burning app in 9.04 was buggy and that the version in 9.10 was better. My experience is that Tom was correct. I have not had any further problems burning discs, and I am using the same brand/batch of blanks.

Having said that, my own philosophy is if it ain't broke don't fix it. I used to run Debian and only switched to Ubuntu because it supported my hardware better.

Joe

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by jml
    my own philosophy is if it ain't broke don't fix it.
    I agree. Unless you have read that Karmic will handle something important to you better, why bother?

I am still bumping along the Ubuntu learning curve. I do not want to give up the things I can do in Jaunty until I am sure I can do them in Karmic,(or Lucid). However, I do want to keep up with the changes that are happening with Ubuntu. (Like Flyers2391) So I did a clean install of Karmic on another partition.

Dual boot was a good decision for me. One example: The version of Wine in Karmic's synaptic won't run my favorite eReader and I have not had time to figure out how to download older versions of Wine from their website. I can still use my e-reader in Jaunty until I learn how to set it up in Karmic.

My advice is: make your decision to move to Karmic on the basis of what Karmic will do for you.

Good Wishes, Eldera
    Last edited by Eldera; January 27th, 2010 at 11:19 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast