Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: SERP2 built-in webcam and Hardy?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Cool Re: SERP2 built-in webcam and Hardy?

Quote Originally Posted by 982000971 View Post
    Thanks! That got me one step further, but now...

root@ubuntu:~/microdia# make
    make -C /lib/modules/2.6.24-19-generic/build SUBDIRS=/root/microdia modules
    make[1]: Entering directory `/usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.24-19-generic'
    Building modules, stage 2.
    MODPOST 1 modules
    make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.24-19-generic'
    root@ubuntu:~/microdia# insmod ./microdia.ko
    insmod: error inserting './microdia.ko': -1 Unknown symbol in module
    root@ubuntu:~/microdia#
    From the link that thomasaaron posted on the first page of this thread:

https://groups.google.com/group/micr...a-driver-draft

Troubleshooting insmod errors

# insmod microdia.ko
    insmod: error inserting 'microdia.ko': -1 Unknown symbol in module

See the output of #dmesg

the last few lines would be complaints about missing symbols, depending upon whats missing

you may not have loaded the modules that module depends on,
    So it failed with those error messages. You would need to modprobe for that module's dependencies

Try

$sudo modprobe videodev

$sudo modprobe compat-ioctl32

then

$sudo insmod microdia.ko
    This is what I suggested be done earlier.

This is what I had to do to get the module to be inserted into my kernel, and there were three kernel upgrades at this time and I had to do this all three times to put the module into each kernel.
    If at first you don't succeed - just buy the company and tell them to make the one you want.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Re: SERP2 built-in webcam and Hardy?

Hello, everyone.

I'll admit that I'm Thomas's "mystery person" who emailed him the original instructions. I wanted to let everyone know that I've posted the instructions on my blog and that I've updated them to work around a couple of the problems people have been experiencing. Additionally, I've added instructions for installing the kernel module and getting it to load automatically every time your boot your computer.

http://kevin.godby.org/2008/05/09/ho...-serp2-webcam/

Please let me know if you run into any problems with these instructions and I'll try to keep them up to date. (I've also subscribed to this thread, so I'll try to jump in and help where I can. Please note, however, that I'm not involved in the development of the driver itself -- I'm just a System76 customer who took a little time to track it down.)

Also, for reference, I'm running this on a Serval Performance (SERP2) machine with Ubuntu Hardy (8.04), 32-bit. I'm thrilled to see that the driver has been working for folks with earlier Servals and 64-bit Linux.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by godbyk View Post
    Hello, everyone.

I'll admit that I'm Thomas's "mystery person" who emailed him the original instructions. I wanted to let everyone know that I've posted the instructions on my blog and that I've updated them to work around a couple of the problems people have been experiencing. Additionally, I've added instructions for installing the kernel module and getting it to load automatically every time your boot your computer.

http://kevin.godby.org/2008/05/09/ho...-serp2-webcam/

Please let me know if you run into any problems with these instructions and I'll try to keep them up to date. (I've also subscribed to this thread, so I'll try to jump in and help where I can. Please note, however, that I'm not involved in the development of the driver itself -- I'm just a System76 customer who took a little time to track it down.)

Also, for reference, I'm running this on a Serval Performance (SERP2) machine with Ubuntu Hardy (8.04), 32-bit. I'm thrilled to see that the driver has been working for folks with earlier Servals and 64-bit Linux.
    Very nice. I see that you seem to have discovered that the order of loading modules is different than the original website states.

I will follow your instructions on the next kernel update.

I will confirm that after a fresh install that the kernel module loaded with no problems or issues.

Thank you for you post on this thread. This is going to help many people.
    If at first you don't succeed - just buy the company and tell them to make the one you want.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Yeah, when I first wrote the instructions I left out the videodev module. Either I simply forgot to add it to my notes or I had loaded it previously while I was testing out drivers. But I've seen the same error message about missing symbols, and loading the videodev module has always solved that problem for me.

One note: I've never had to load the compat-ioctl32 module. The microdia and videodev modules are the only ones I've needed to load for the device to work. Has anyone else needed to load compat-ioctl32 specifically? If so, which laptop (version) and Ubuntu version are you using? 32-bit or 16-bit?

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by godbyk View Post
    Yeah, when I first wrote the instructions I left out the videodev module. Either I simply forgot to add it to my notes or I had loaded it previously while I was testing out drivers. But I've seen the same error message about missing symbols, and loading the videodev module has always solved that problem for me.

One note: I've never had to load the compat-ioctl32 module. The microdia and videodev modules are the only ones I've needed to load for the device to work. Has anyone else needed to load compat-ioctl32 specifically? If so, which laptop (version) and Ubuntu version are you using? 32-bit or 16-bit?
    I did, but only because it was in the instruction on the original page for the device driver under the troubleshooting section. I don't really know if I needed that module or not, but it's done and the cam works.

The camera actually has a very clear picture and there is no delay when you call it. Very nice. Thanks for searching and finding this wonderful piece of software.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Unhappy Re: SERP2 built-in webcam and Hardy?

The following quotations are from back in May of 2008:

Quote Originally Posted by steveneddy View Post
    I tried to get this to work last night, and at least lsusb lists it in the list now as a Microdia product.

I will have to do a little more experimenting to get it to be sucessful on my Serp 1.

So, this may come down as a System76 driver update?
    Quote Originally Posted by thomasaaron View Post
    It will.
    THAT IS A PLAIN COMMITMENT BY SYSTEM 76's TECHNICAL REPRESENTATIVE. IT WAS SAID WITHOUT EQUIVOCATION.

I bought my SERP2 way back about the time of Dapper Drake (maybe earlier). We have been promised the built-in web cam driver for the SERP2 would be integrated into the SYSTEM76 driver. Jaunty Jackalope is already in development and testing. How much longer must we wait.

At this point, I am disappointed in System 76's failure to deliver on their commitment.

Who else is still waiting in disappointment?

After all this time, and demonstration of extreme patience with, and loyalty to, System 76, I feel that it is reasonable for me to say that I am upset AND disappointed.

Please! Please! Please! It's time to make good on your obligation. Don't cause potential customers to doubt System 76's commitment; don't make it look like you are happy to take our money and then forget us long-term committed customers. Don't create bad feelings with your long-time customers or else when it comes time to purchase another Linux computer we will probably walk away -- especially as hardware support for Ubuntu continues to improve. I bought System 76 because I believed I could count on your company.

To help you understand how I feel with the wait for support for the SERP2, pick up and read Samuel Beckett's "Waiting for Godot".

Beans

I think this is the biggest problem with S76 and Ubuntu:

Future updates might break working installs, and s76 drivers not capable of fixing'em. (see also daru2 and power mgmt, an 9 months unsolved issue)

Unfortunately s76 focuses on the very last release (Ibex 64 bit, now) putting those with Hardy LTS on second place.

I always thought the 6 months Ubuntu release cycle is to short; it merely allows for current bugs to be sorted out, by the time you have to upgrade again. Then the circle goes on and on.

If s76 claims they support Hardy LTS (valid till 2011), why can't we buy laptops with hardy preinstalled?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Code:
    THAT IS A PLAIN COMMITMENT BY SYSTEM 76's TECHNICAL REPRESENTATIVE. IT WAS SAID WITHOUT EQUIVOCATION.
    Unfortunately, I can't get the camera to work at all on our shop model. It won't install, and a few of us have banged our head against the wall substantially with it.

I will keep trying, though.

If s76 claims they support Hardy LTS (valid till 2011), why can't we buy laptops with hardy preinstalled?
    This is a strategic and logistical decision made by those higher up in the company than I will ever be.

The vast majority of our customers want the latest version of Ubuntu. Very very few have requested Hardy, and those who want Hardy generally are server customers. We do offer a Hardy installation option for Servers.

Essentially, it takes a ton of time and effort to manage the imaging servers, updates and troubleshooting for any particular version -- and it seems to make the most sense to expend that time and effort on the versions that almost all of our customers want -- the latest one.

Also, Hardy lacks some support for ATI graphics,which we are starting to use on some of our newer desktop systems.

We do try to support our desktop and laptop customers who have Hardy installed, and we are happy to walk any of our customers through installing it.
    To err is human, to forgive is very ... dog-like.

Thomas Aaron
    FetchMasters, LLC

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I have voiced my unhappiness with the state of the Serp2 webcam. My purchase date was June 25, 2007! That's a long wait for a promise to come true.

I did get it working and want it to make Skype live up to its capabilities. Whatever the various upgrades did to it, now it is useless. We bought it with the expectation that it would work or be made to work.

Maybe System 76 is understaffed.

H. Karl Juelch

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Is Henry the only one whose SerP2 webcam is broken due to updates?

Also, Henry, what version of Ubuntu are you currently running?

EDIT... I sent you an email with a request for some more information.
    Last edited by thomasaaron; February 21st, 2009 at 06:40 AM.
    To err is human, to forgive is very ... dog-like.

Thomas Aaron
    FetchMasters, LLC

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast