Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: server will only boot with keyboard and monitor connected

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

server will only boot with keyboard and monitor connected

Hi,

I am running a PIII Compaq deskpro EN server.

I am attempting to make it headless, however, the damn thing will not boot properly without the monitor hooked up. Obviously, this is a real pain in the ****. Especially as if I am working in the cli and then want to run x, x will not start unless I run upstairs and switch the monitor on!

Is this something which is likely fixable in the bios? I don't want to start poking around in there unless I know there's a point to it, as I am prone to breaking things.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks,

Jez
    Media Server: Intel Atom D410PT fileserver running Ubuntu Server 10.04 with occasional light desktop duties.
    Laptop: Toshiba Satellite A210 running Ubuntu 10.04 Desktop.

Beans

Re: server will only boot with keyboard and monitor connected

ubuntu as a server is not the best choice. try debian or another distro, preferably 1 known to be reliable.
    http://distrowatch.com/search.php?ca...&status=Active

Beans
    Hidden!

I would almost guarantee the problem is with the BIOS. You may need to update the BIOS. I've had plenty of Ubuntu 6.06 servers work just fine without keyboard, monitor, or mouse.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Thanks Brazen, will give the bios a try soon. I hope I don't have to update - that will be a real pain!

I also suspect it's not an OS issue, as the problem occurs at boot.

kerry_s, is this a known Ubuntu bug? What will Debian do differently.

Beans

look for bios section that states halt on boot, you need to set so it ignores missing keyboard

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.06 Dapper

Some bios have a submenu called 'errors' or 'halt on' with 'keyboard, none' etc as options. If your bios is like this, choose none.

Others have 'halt on keyboard' etc as actual menu items, you need to disable all the 'halt on' options, so the system boots regardless of errors.

I have never yet seen a bios without these options in one form or another, have a look, they will be there.

I dont know why someone suggested ubuntu isnt reliable, but since they didnt elaborate I have no reason to believe that. Ubuntu is as stable as any other distribution if you ask me, it's usually the programs, not the OS that cause problems when it comes to linux.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Thanks you all very much, will check this out.
    Media Server: Intel Atom D410PT fileserver running Ubuntu Server 10.04 with occasional light desktop duties.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by kerry_s View Post
    ubuntu as a server is not the best choice. try debian or another distro, preferably 1 known to be reliable.
    http://distrowatch.com/search.php?ca...&status=Active
    Having re-read this post, I don't think the poster was suggesting Ubuntu is unreliable - just that it's not the best server choice. I have heard that before, however I am a Linux n00b and I am familiar with Ubuntu, so...

I am curious as to why you don't think it's a good choice Kerry...

Jez

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by Jeztastic View Post
    Having re-read this post, I don't think the poster was suggesting Ubuntu is unreliable - just that it's not the best server choice. I have heard that before, however I am a Linux n00b and I am familiar with Ubuntu, so...

I am curious as to why you don't think it's a good choice Kerry...

Jez
    He's just spreading FUD. There are advantages and disadvantages to all distros. The LTS releases of Ubuntu make fine servers ( at least Ubuntu 6.06 Server LTS does, I've yet to find out if 8.04 is, since it's only been out a week).

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

This is a limitation of the hardware. I've run some of these in the past and they are business class desktops. There is no option to boot without the keyboard (you don't need a monitor though). A friend of mine once cut off a keyboard connector and soldered something together to fool the box into thinking a keyboard was connected when just the stub was plugged in.
    Why can't life have a sudo apt-get install -f command?
    Install VMWare Server 2 on a text-only system
    Need help getting your printer working in Linux?
    It's all about choice, right? Then stop flaming Windows users.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast