Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How do we turn off the "100 gb media"-like names in hardy?

Beans

How do we turn off the "100 gb media"-like names in hardy?

This is annoying, it was better when the drives had their unique names!

Beans

Re: How do we turn off the "100 gb media"-like names in hardy?

Quote Originally Posted by descentspb View Post
    This is annoying, it was better when the drives had their unique names!
    That's because those volumes don't have names. They are ntfs volumes, right? Those are the ones that dont have names on my computer the osx86 ones have their name on nautilus.
    Go to windows and change the volumes names there, luckily that will do the trick

Beans

No, in Hardy all of the mounted media have their sizes instead of names (even the ext3 partitions). When i boot up into gutsy it's ok. Maybe those partitions do not have any names, but in gutsy it was convinient, that the names originated from the name of the corresponding mountpoint.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I'm running Hardy on a Lenovo T61 laptop. It also has a Windows XP (NTFS) partition, which does have a volume name.

I see the volume name, and not "X GB media".
    Ubuntu 12.04

Beans

Well, i can not check it now, but it seems that NTFS volumes have their real names in Hardy. But the others, ext3 volumes are called in the "X GB media" way, despite the names of the mount points.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RenameUSBDrive
    Works for non-USB partitions too.

Beans

Thanks! I'll try that. But, fairly, it seems like a nautilus option was added to hardy. This is a workaround, what you suggested, but i would like to simply turn it off.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by descentspb View Post
    Well, i can not check it now, but it seems that NTFS volumes have their real names in Hardy. But the others, ext3 volumes are called in the "X GB media" way, despite the names of the mount points.
    Really?

I have two ext3 partitions, one mounts at / and the other at /home

Nautilus shows other 4 partitions: leopard, data (both HFS, I think) and xxxGB media and yyyGB media. Which are the name-less NTFS partitions. Even on windows they dont have a name, although windows assigns drive letters to them. But it doesnt show the extra ext3 partition, because it's already at /home. Perhaps it is because it is not mounted automatically?

I'm not sure if you can put a name to the partition using gparted, maybe you can!

Beans

What he suggested is not a workaround really. Nautilus will show the volume name as per the file system specifications, if there's no name it will just identify the volume by its size. If you want a name to be displayed, then set a name to the volume. It's not workaround or "make-up" thing, since any other operating system capable of recognizing those volumes will also see the name change.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Julius View Post
    What he suggested is not a workaround really. Nautilus will show the volume name as per the file system specifications, if there's no name it will just identify the volume by its size. If you want a name to be displayed, then set a name to the volume. It's not workaround or "make-up" thing, since any other operating system capable of recognizing those volumes will also see the name change.
    Ok, let's assume this is not a workaround, whatever. The situation is the following:
    i have a nameless ext3 partition, which mounts in /media/ultra. In Gutsy nautilus calls the partition ultra (or whatever i set in /etc/fstab). But in Hardy it is called "350 gb media" and is still mounted into /media/ultra. As soon as i usually access this partition through /media/ultra (using all other software), I want it to be called "ultra" regardless of it being nameless. So i just want this feature back and i was asking of how to get this option turned on again, not how to give a name to a partition, though maybe it is even a nicer decision.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast