Thread: Ubuntu 8.04 unable to recognize video card after installing driver

Beans

Ubuntu 8.04 unable to recognize video card after installing driver

Hi, I'm new to linux, and got Ubuntu up and running for only a couple days now. I'm starting to like it, but one thing that's been bugging me is that ever since I've installed my NVIDIA driver; which worked just fine, so it seemed; it'd not recognize it when I reboot. I get to the splash screen and then some text saying something along the lines of: "running anacron" (I think) and a few other things and then the prompt telling me to run in low graphics mode. I've so far resorted to just reinstalling the driver every reboot.

I have an NVIDIA GeForce 6100 nForce 405 and the driver I'm using is "NVIDIA-Linux-x86-169.12-pkg1.run". I'm honestly not really sure if this is the right or the most up to date driver, and I've been a little confused by what I've gotten out of google trying to verify that...

Beans

Re: Ubuntu 8.04 unable to recognize video card after installing driver

Just tried using Envy, and I still have the same problem. Does anybody have any suggestions?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Why didn't you use the restricted driver from ubuntu, it is as good as the one from NVidia if not better.

Beans
    Distro
    Hardy Heron (Ubuntu Development)

Same problem here. Both the manually installed driver and the driver from restricted modules don't work. There was no difference if the driver was installed via EnvyNG or by downloading the driver from the nvidia-website.

After a reboot I always got the low graphics prompt. The only driver that worked was the "nv" driver.

I upgraded from Gutsy during beta-testing-phase. The nvidia-glx-new worked from there until final version of Hardy. But because of a another graphics-problem (see launchpad-entry https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...24/+bug/220951), I tried several drivers and had to uninstall nvidia-glx-new. From there it didn't worked any more after reinstalling.
    It seems to be a problem with the 2.6.24-16 kernel. I've given up and run the realtime kernel now. nvidia-glx-new is working again but still with the problems described in launchpad.

Greetings from Germany.

Beans

Bumping this in the hope of getting a fix, I'm still stumped