Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Desktop wi-fi adapter - please help!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Desktop wi-fi adapter - please help!

Sorry in advance for this, I know im probably not supposed to do it....

I have a thread here in the networking section http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=772602
    problem is I just cant get this thing working and no one seems to have any ideas - can anyone help me set it up?

Its a Buffalo Wireless-G 125* USB2 wi-fi adapter - I know it works as I have it working in Windows, but I also have this machine dual booting Ubuntu 7.10 64 bit edition - My dad doesnt want to use windows really apart from the odd game - he wants to use ubuntu so can anyone please help me get it going? I have no idea if Ubuntu is even seeing it - all I can say is that there are no wireless networks detected...

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Desktop wi-fi adapter - please help!

OK, you may not like this but here it goes: getting wireless to work with Linux is like gambling in Vegas. Others may give you lots of cool things to do to make it work but, in my experience, none of these things actually work for me!

I'd suggest you run down to Wal-Mart or Target or whatever and buy a cheap USB Broadcom wireless device. This is what I use, its relatively common and Linux automatically sees it with no muss or fuss. Great reception, no problems.

Beans
    Distro
    Hardy Heron (Ubuntu Development)

I think you're in luck in terms of getting this working.

First of all, get this computer attached to the Internet in some fashion (probably a wired Ethernet connection). You either need to do that OR figure out how to enable the installer CD as a software source. The reason you need to do either of these things is because you need to install additional software that does not come with Ubuntu by default to get the wireless going. You also need to download the Buffalo drivers onto your computer. I'd say, the easiest option is to connect a weired connection so you can get the software and the drivers without issues.

First of all, download the Buffalo drivers here. Right click on the file, press "Extract Here" and remember the folder where you extracted everything (probably the Desktop).

Now, figure out how to install software on your machine (by connecting to the Internet and enabling an Internet repository, or by enabling the CD). Here's a good guide for that kind of stuff. If you went the wired connection route, you need to change some options in Synaptic. Look at the guide for more info.

Once you can install software, open a terminal (Applications->Accessories-> Terminal) and type in -

Code:
    sudo -i
    apt-get install ndiswrapper-utils-1.9 ndiswrapper-common
    cd /home/your_user_name/Desktop/U2KG125S (for example, just wherever you extracted the drivers)
    ndiswrapper -i NETG125S.INF
    Just to check, type in

Code:
    ndiswrapper -l
    You should see something like "Driver installed".

Finally, execute these commands

Code:
    modprobe ndiswrapper
    echo "ndiswrapper" >> /etc/modules
    After a reboot (you HAVE to reboot), your wireless should work. You should see available wireless networks in the network manager (left click on the network icon in the system tray).

Good luck!!!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Hi AndrewtheArt - I have my laptop and a USB memory stick if thats any use? Cant really do a wired connection at the moment, id have to go and get an Ethernet cable (which isnt a huge problem) - I do however have the buffalo drivers on my memory stick and a copy of both the 7.10 and 8.04 live CD's. Is your solution still do-able? I dont mind doing the messing about if you can go through it step by step...

Cheers for the help

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Ok, I have Ndiswrapper-1.52.tar.gz and the buffalo drivers on my memory stick - I take it I can install ndiswrapper on to the desktop and then run the rest of what you've typed above? How do you install a tar.gz file?

Beans
    Distro

Gotta run, but go here!!!

http://monkeyblog.org/ubuntu/installing/

Beans
    Distro

Any updates?
    As a small note, you're going to need to install build-essential from the CD, as you can't really compile the C compiler from source (Just makes no sense )

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

I get this....

tony@tony-desktop:~$ sudo aptitude install build-essential
    Reading package lists... Done
    Building dependency tree
    Reading state information... Done
    Initialising package states... Done
    Writing extended state information... Done
    Building tag database... Done
    No packages will be installed, upgraded, or removed.
    0 packages upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
    Need to get 0B of archives. After unpacking 0B will be used.
    Writing extended state information... Done
    Building dependency tree
    Reading extended state information
    Initialising package states... Done
    Building tag database... Done
    tony@tony-desktop:~$ ndiswrapper -l
    netg125s : invalid driver!
    tony@tony-desktop:~$ modprobe ndiswrapper
    FATAL: Could not open '/lib/modules/2.6.22-14-generic/ubuntu/misc/ndiswrapper/ndiswrapper.ko': No such file or directory
    tony@tony-desktop:~$ sudo apt-get install ndiswrapper-utils-1.9 ndiswrapper-common
    Building dependency tree
    ndiswrapper-utils-1.9 is already the newest version.
    ndiswrapper-common is already the newest version.
    ndiswrapper-common set to manual installed.
    0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
    tony@tony-desktop:~$ cd /home/tony/wifi/U2KG125S
    tony@tony-desktop:~/wifi/U2KG125S$ ndiswrapper -i NETG125S.INF
    driver netg125s is already installed
    tony@tony-desktop:~/wifi/U2KG125S$ ndiswrapper -l
    netg125s : invalid driver!
    tony@tony-desktop:~/wifi/U2KG125S$

Beans
    Distro

Try

Code:
    sudo aptitude install linux-ubuntu-modules-`uname -r`
    Then try ndiswrapper install again.

anewguy is offline I Ubuntu, Therefore, I Am
    Beans
    Distro

Wink Re: Desktop wi-fi adapter - please help!

You also need to get back to a clean slate in ndiswrapper before continuing. In a terminal window do the following:

sudo ndiswrapper -l <= lower case "L"

for each driver returned from above:

sudo ndiswrapper -e xxxxxx <= where xxxxxx is the driver name returned above

Repeat this until nothing is returned. You will then be at a clean state again. Now try installing your driver again with ndiswrapper -i. Your safest bet is to "cd xxxxxx" where "xxxxxx" is the folder the driver files are in (should be at least .inf and .sys maybe more) BEFORE doing the ndiswrapper -i. This eliminates any path problems. Believe me, ndiswrapper will "install" (maybe I should say it used to not return an error) if you installed something with the wrong spelling, incorrect path, etc.. That's why I always tell everyone to get back to a clean slate first.

Also, for those interested, rather than compile ndiswrapper, if you have the livecd you can manually install it from there:

(1) Put the disk in the drive and reply "cancel" to the "a volume with software packages has been detected" screen. Wait for the file browser to come up.

(2) Click on pool, then main, then "n", then ndiswrapper. You'll find the .deb's for ndiswrapper common and the utils there and can just click each .deb and the package manager will start for it. Saves needing to download source, compile it (in my experience I've never needed to actually compile ndiswrapper from source).

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast